anyone ran a aussie in the back of there jeep? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87087
anyone ran a aussie in the back of there jeep?

i have a 8.8 in the back on my tj and i found a used aussie for $125, i dont really have the funds for a selectable locker yet so im thinkin of buying this. but i would like to know how the ppl that run these liked it.
bluejeep2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 32034
i don't run one, but the only drawback i can say about it is that it's clutch driven, not gear. it's really a limited slip that has an electrically actuated lockup. but the locker never really locks up completely like a gear driven locker and the clutches can wear out.

for $125, if it's in good shape seems like a good buy though.
CJ4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4U2NV View Post
i don't run one, but the only drawback i can say about it is that it's clutch driven, not gear. it's really a limited slip that has an electrically actuated lockup. but the locker never really locks up completely like a gear driven locker and the clutches can wear out.

Say what?? Electrical??? I don't think so. Try again

Quote:
The Aussie Locker is a fully automatic and precision manufactured automatic differential locking device that does not require any manual operation to activate. It does not require any switches, external compressors, electrical cables, air lines, or pneumatic controls.

The Aussie Locker relies on a simple and highly innovative mechanical design which makes use of two distinct sets of forces, "ground driven" forces acting on a wheel when cornering (forces the outside of the wheel to turn faster) and the engine driven forces through the drivetrain. The combination of these two sets of opposing forces and the unique Aussie Locker design allow the automatic locking an unlocking of the driving gears when a vehicle turns or requires differential action.

The "Aussie Locker" is positive locking, meaning there is no slippage when locked. There is a mechanically solid engagement of all parts. In contrast a limited slip differential is not positive locking and does allow slippage and one wheel "spin up" i.e. the spinning of one wheel at twice the differential speed while the other wheel having traction remains motionless. With the "Aussie Locker" you get 100% of drive and traction to both wheels.
Works just about like a lockrite
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4U2NV View Post

I think you have the Aussie confused with something else????????

I had a buddy with a Lock-Right in the back of his TJ. personally, I wouldn't run one for a rear application, especially in a TJ. It caused some quirky "jacking" of the rear axle and the forces oblonged the bolt holes in the stock control arm mounts. For my $$$, I'd either install a spool or a selectable. Those lunch box lockers just shock load too bad for a rear axle in my opinion.

Oh, and check that thing out closely before you pay for it. When Lock-Rights get used, the clutch teeth wear out. When the teeth wear out, the locker doesn't engage right. If it's not engagig right, you may be stuck with no wheel drive instead of 1 or 2.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
I drove an aussie in the back of mine for 2 years. It's fine.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18320
Lock rite lived, D44 shafts did not.
elarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 16944
I've seen too many broken cross shafts and split cases to ever recommend a lunch box in a rear axle application.
Weld it or buy a Detroit.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 75158
Run it, you will be happy. I have an 8.8 and have run it for 4 years of hard rockcrawling and never a problem. I even managed to break an axle shaft in the 8.8. The only shock load would be in a sharp turn if you let off then push on the pedal in the middle of the turn you will feel it. Not hard to get used to. Either accellerate through the turn or make the turn then accelerate as you straighten out.
littlyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 58117
I learn a lot from reading these post. I have an Aussie in my front axle and love it. A buddy asked me about installing one in his D44 (rear axle) and I told him I don't see why not, just understand the quirks of an auto locker in the rear axle. I guess time will tell if I gave my buddy bad advice or not.
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41619
Check my sig.
I love 'em.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 32034
my bad, i was thinking about the auburn locker.

flame on, i deserve it.
CJ4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25915
I have had one in my 8.8 under the TJ for the past 2 years. It works great and for the price I couldn't be happier. Every now and then it will unload - but you get used to it.
Dhorn33 is offline   Reply With Quote