Grand Cherokee 5.9 on a yj, cj or TJ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Grand Cherokee 5.9 on a yj, cj or TJ?

So contemplating a deal on a 5.9 Grand engine for a swap in a yj. I have not found much info yet, but anyone has any info on this swap on a YJ, TJ, CJ?

Any more info, harness, etc? Plan was to use a manual rather than the auto, but open to ideas.

Thx
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 65147
if you are gonna register it, I would make sure it is very complete, I'm particular to pulling from a running vehicle rather than a craigslist special. just my thoughts. good luck

Last edited by damienhellfire; 02-23-2007 at 05:46 PM.
damienhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 67642
God damnit, theres a guy who mentioned it in a 4.0 swap thread in hardcore and I pestered him for more info but he never replied. his was a TJ, but he made it sound pretty simple. If I find his name I'll let you try him...

PS thanks for the knuckles again!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 87657
do a search on 5.2 tj engine swaps it should bring back a few results aa makes the mounts and such its easier in a yj then a tj becuase the wiring
thomastenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Gusy, thanks for teh info! I willd do more search around. Plan is to get the engine and harness for a pretty sweet deal, but as mentioned I would love to get the whole rig and transplant ans much as possible in. Am staring to ballpark the amount of work, so will see. I am thinking a Chevy 350 may be a best way to go, plus a lot more bolt trany-t-case combos annd aftermarket stuff, harnesses, etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30681
I am almost finished with a 5.2L 46RH and np231 into my 2.5L YJ. I got the whole shebang like you mentioned.. minus the actual vehicle. I got motor,trans,complete wiring (I mean complete from tail lights to headlights)radiator, tranny cooler, all hoses and lines, steering column, and all guages modules and switches. Granted, I didn't use everything, but it was all there pulled from a running vehicle from a wrecking yard (have a trustworthy source there). I paid $1000 for all the parts and then did all the fabrication of mounts and so on. It is a big pain to use the stock wiring harness, but at the same time you have everything. Everyone says its a big no no to use the wiring with a security system, but I got one with and used the module and everything. It is hooked up to go off if anyone tries to start the jeep and has an automatic shutdown also. I think its great. I was also able to splice in some of my old plugs and what no from the yj for things like the stock yj steering column/blinkers and the headlights and dimmer switches. If you don't use sodder, better learn. It is your friend. Just to remember, it is very easy to "hack" this type of swap... so do yourself a favor and take your time doing things right. Especially the wiring. Good luck.
CAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30681
Oh, I would shoot for a 727 I had to do it again. The 46RH is a long tranny, but the OD will be really nice.
CAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Cave!

Thansk for the info, I definitely would lke to touch base with more q's.

Thx!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 28620
Here's a PM I got from sceep a while back when I was gonna put a 5.2 in my Scrambler. I know you said YJ, but maybe some of it is relavent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Hey Sceep,
I was hoping I could ask you a few specific questions about your 318 swap.

1-What tranny did you end up going with? 46rh?
2-Is that an electronically controlled trans? the OD is, the rest of the tranny is not3-Does it have a seperate computer like the AW4 in Cherokees? just for the OD.. if you dont want thte OD then ya dont need the tranny controller4-Did you have pan clearance problems and how did you solve them? nope slid right in.5-Did you have to get a new radiator? used the stock cj |-6 rad.
6-If not, did you notice a difference in cooling ability?yes, on hot days with dual electric fans it was overheating. removing the inner fenderwells allowed the underhood temps to drop enough that it never got over 210 again.7-Any other info that might be helpful will be appreciated too! see cut and paste below. LOL i get alot of questions regaurding this swap so im just starting to keep them all in a word doc and paste them in as they come.

Thanks.

the 318 was removed from a donor 93 CJ. motor mounts were sourced through Novak, tranny/tcase mount is custom. stock cj |-6 radiator was used. big tranny cooler added in.

wiring into the cj was a breeze.. IIRC 5 wire hookup.

when selecting your donor try and get a non factory alarm equiped one. if it was factory alarm equiped you're gonna have to buy a new ECU.

make sure you grab the fuse block from the donor. the fuse block in them deals out ALL the power to everything. once you power the block the thing will run pending grounds. after that its just splicing the wires to run/start/fuel pump.

exhaust was tricky with the clocked d300 inthe cj frame but it fit perfectly between the d300 and the frame rail on the pass side.

lots of pics of the build @ http://www.dana60.com/sceep/jeep

good luck. its a kick ass motor in the cj.
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
hey thanks 2kiTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote