which jeep? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87770
which jeep?

I just went on vacation for a week and rented a jeep and loved it. I drive a 2003 superduty turbo diesel and love that also. I would like to start building a jeep wrangler for a second vehicle, so with budget in mind. I have done some searching(being part of other forums) and have found lots of info but not answered some questions. First off i don't know much about jeeps and need some help as to which one i should be looking for to buy? I don't want to do any major off roading, mostly want it to look nice, drive nice, reliable(understanding budget doesn't always lead to reliable) but also be capable of some off roading for some fun. I am thinking somewhere in the 80's for budget? I am thinking about a fiberglass tub, where is the best place to get one and how much or would i be better off finding replacement panels for the price? Also going to put some kind off suspension lift on it so any help there would be great? I am a good wrench but like to do as much research as possible before jumping into something, still a little young at 26 so like to learn from the experience of others. Also any reading or links you might have for me to learn more about rebuilding jeeps would be great. Mainly looking for some help on the difference between the jeep models, cj, tj, yj, etc. I know some have springs and some have shocks, basically what you guys recommend for daily driving with some off road capability. Sorry for the long post and thanks so much for helping start in the right direction.

Last edited by ponch37300; 02-27-2007 at 10:32 AM.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 81184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I just went on vacation for a week and rented a jeep and loved it. I drive a 2003 superduty turbo diesel and love that also. I would like to start building a jeep wrangler for a second vehicle, so with budget in mind.

Whats the budget?

I have done some searching(being part of other forums) and have found lots of info but not answered some questions. First off i don't know much about jeeps and need some help as to which one i should be looking for to buy?

Buy a TJ 1997 - 2006

I don't want to do any major off roading, mostly want it to look nice, drive nice, reliable(understanding budget doesn't always lead to reliable) but also be capable of some off roading for some fun. I am thinking somewhere in the 80's for budget?

most jeeps of that vintage have been raped by people like us.. don't buy an old one if you want reliable, nice looking and most of all "drives nice" Buy a TJ.. they are fuel injected.. easy to upgrade.. coil sprung (rides nice)

I am thinking about a fiberglass tub, where is the best place to get one and how much or would i be better off finding replacement panels for the price?

Do not buy a fiberglass tub they suck dick... they break, you have to nut and bolt everything from both above and below the tub, they are janky.. don't do it..... stay steel

Also going to put some kind off suspension lift on it so any help there would be great? I am a good wrench but like to do as much research as possible before jumping into something, still a little young at 26 so like to learn from the experience of others.

Buy a TJ and purchase a bolt in kit that can be upgraded as you learn and progress in the sport / addiction....

Also any reading or links you might have for me to learn more about rebuilding jeeps would be great.

you found the right place.. pony up 20 bucks (BUY A RED STAR) and search away dude

Mainly looking for some help on the difference between the jeep models, cj, tj, yj, etc. I know some have springs and some have shocks, basically what you guys recommend for daily driving with some off road capability.

CJ5 = smaller than others, leaf sprung with 2" leafs, not fuel injected.. lots have v8's

CJ7 = Like a CJ5 with a YJ tub

YJ = square headlights, 2 1/2" leaf springs, 4cyl. and 6 cyl. some fuel injected, same size tub as cj7 & TJ, lots of parts availiable, cheaper than TJ.. good entry point if you can't buy a TJ.. Just get sopmething fuel injected and save the hassle..

TJ = coil springs, round headlights, all fuel injected, lots a lots a parts out there, nicer than any other jeep made previously

JK = New 2007 model.. Tj like coil suspension, wider body and stance, v6 not inline 6,

ALL HAVE SHOCKS

Sorry for the long post and thanks so much for helping start in the right direction.
yep....

Last edited by jmackie411; 02-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
jmackie411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 87770
Thanks for taking the time to repley, it answered alot of my questions and set me in the right direction. I guess i am looking for more budget and am going to have to sacrafice on the ride quality and reliability to stick on budget. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible but under 4000-5000 for sure and from looking at tj's i don't think that will happen. I am willing to do the work and have experience with rebuilding trucks and cars but need some help on what jeep, engine-drivetrain, would be the best for me and still keep it budget since it is just going to be a second vehicle but would like to drive it on the nice days, really liked the top down in hawaii. If it rides a little bumpy i can handle that and i can rebuild a different engine to put in if it will help keep this a fairly cheap build. I guess i mainly want a nice looking jeep with a lift to drive around with the top off when it's nice outside and maybe some light off roading occasionly. Thanks again for your help and i believe in sponsoring these forums for the help i recieve and do sponsor a couple of ford truck forums and will sponsor this one.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 58117
20 year old Jeep will not be reliable. It will require a lot of work which equals money. If you are not careful, a $500.00 deal will cost you $20,000 to get on the road. I say look for a 1997 or newer TJ. The closer to 1997 you get, the cheaper. TJs are nice on and off road. You will open a can of worms with the 2.5L versus the 4.0L thing. Jeeps with the 2.5L will be a bunch cheaper than the ones with the 4.oL but you will have to decide which is right for you. Also, try to purchase a TJ that is as close to stock as you can get it. There is nothing like fixing other people's mistakes with your money.
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 87770
I would like a tj but i think a yj is going to fit in the budget more after looking for a tj. Also i believe a lift for a yj will be cheaper than one for a tj. I don't need alot of power, I do want to put around 33's on it so maybe the cheaper motor and change the gears would be better than a 4.0? I guess the budget is my main concern now and i realize reliability doesn't always fit with budget but if there is a cheap way to rebuild one of the engine options or swap i would rather go that route. So if there is one engine that is the cheapest to swap or rebuild which is it? I guess i am looking for any major problem motors to stay away from. thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 58117
Sounds like to me that you need to be looking for a YJ with the 2.5L. Gears will help put as much power as possible in a Jeep with 2.5L & 33 inch tires. When the 2.5L starts racking miles and gets tired, rebuild it and your good to go for another 100,000? miles.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
I know some have springs and some have shocks
Quote:
I have experience with rebuilding trucks and cars
I'm sorry, but these two comments don't jive. I'd seriously start out with reading as much as possible about anything automotive related at all.

As for which Jeep to buy. A 91 or newer YJ or TJ will be your best bet.

edit: I know of a YJ on Houston with a 14b, 60, 4.3L, 4l60e, dana 300 for sale for 7k.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab

Last edited by apeters89; 02-27-2007 at 01:09 PM.
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 87770
I meant to say some have coil springs and some have leaf springs and i do realize all have shocks, sorry for the mistake. I do have a pretty heavily modified 03' 7.3L superduty and also have a 2000 f-150 with alot of body work and a rebuilt 5.4L which i did all myself. I am only 26 and don't claim to know everything but i do do eveything to my vehicles myself and learn along the way. Thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22969
Send a message via AIM to &ReW
Get the latest model YJ you can afford that way you get a 4.0 I6. Put a CJ grill on it so it will have round headlights and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 77917
(surprise, surprise!) I recommend a TJ with a straight six. Find a stocker with a good frame and sound engine and tranny.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jeep View Post
20 year old Jeep will not be reliable. It will require a lot of work which equals money. If you are not careful, a $500.00 deal will cost you $20,000 to get on the road... Also, try to purchase a TJ that is as close to stock as you can get it. There is nothing like fixing other people's mistakes with your money.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm beyond that figure on my 76 CJ5 Resto/Mod)

Since you're just looking for a mall crawler...Buy the newest TJ you can afford...A Rubicon would be the best IMHO....Then go nuts with the bolt-ons.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 87837
Look for a rig that has been a tow vehicle for a motorhome. High miles on the odometer but the engines usually only have 20 to 30k and because of the mileage the prices are usually lower.

Once you have a rig talk to or join a local 4wd club for the experience and the project help. That will get you the first hand experience of seeing what works best in your area (different area=different style of wheeling). Oh and dont be suprised when this quickly goes from hobby to lifestyle.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 47879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackfabricaton View Post
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm beyond that figure on my 76 CJ5 Resto/Mod)

Since you're just looking for a mall crawler...Buy the newest TJ you can afford...A Rubicon would be the best IMHO....Then go nuts with the bolt-ons.
I second the motion...Newer TJ hands down.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 58117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjolof View Post
Look for a rig that has been a tow vehicle for a motorhome. High miles on the odometer but the engines usually only have 20 to 30k and because of the mileage the prices are usually lower. -- snip --
Say What??

Unless a Jeep is being flat towed in gear, pulling it behind a motorhome isn't going to put any miles on the clock.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 87837
Your right Little Jeep, thats true for the CJ and i cant remember if the YJ counts tow mileage or not. Sorry for the mistake. Happy hunting ponch.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 65984
tonite i have been accused oif being a bit drunk, but i would suggest a 94-95 wrangler yj, get the 4.0 straight 6 and start from there. it is a great base to begin a wheeler, or find a first or secong gen toyota, they are a great start to wheeling in general. good luck, btw the toyota will probably be cheaper, trust me i drive a 94 yj. also, patience is more than a virtue, it is money saved, toyota or jeep im sure everyone who wheels would agree...

Ron: Yeah, when I think he got killed and left that big mountain of coke sittin' there... I mean, it breaks your heart!
Gus310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 65147
look long and hard ,and then look longer and you will once in a while find one that is already lifted with tires in your price range.
not to sound like a effin salesman but stare at craigslist long enough and one will pop up......... [URL="http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/286796650.html[/URL]"]