Death Vibe, Pleas Help!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87376
Exclamation Death Vibe, Pleas Help!!

I recently installed a hand-me-down lift (3.5" RE) on my TJ. It come with new lower control arms, a track bar riser, new shocks and springs, and a new rear drive shaft with SYE. The car runs fine below 20MPH but when I get to about 25-30 it violentely vibrates (death vibe). The car the lift was originally installed on had a rear Dana 35 however mine has a 44 would this effect the drive line and cause the vibe, or is it caused by something else like misalignment?

thank you

p.s. pleasE lol

Last edited by heliarcer; 02-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.
heliarcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 73452
did you get an alighnment done after the install?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 87376
No that's happening tomorrow (fist opening they had). The vibration happens more severely when the drive line is under load i.e. excel and breaking. which makes me think that the drive shaft is the issue. Also my car has been misaligned before and the vibration hasn't been as severe.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49165
Check to make sure your track bar relocation bracket and bushing bolt is tight. Also with new lowers your castor could be off. Are the lower comtrol arms adjustable?

BRC MEMBER
CA4WDC MEMBER
FOTR MEMBER
Kevie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 87376
They unfortunately aren't, Im going to check the track bar but would it cause a crazy vibe like that?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 75252
Send a message via AIM to sami86 Send a message via MSN to sami86 Send a message via Yahoo to sami86
check the body side track bar mount and make sure its tight i had the death wobble then it turn out it was that..
Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 58117
The RE 3.5 lift comes with fixed lower control arms. I see where you installed a SYE and CV driveshaft, but you didn't say anything about what you are doing for upper control arms or if you used the TC drop. First thing would be to get an alignment. Then check your track bars. Then visit Tom Woods Wed site for chart that shows proper rear driveshaft pinion angle. What Jeep are we talking about and if you do not have an automatic locker in the front axle, remove the rear driveshaft and drive the Jeep in 4 wd. If ride is smooth, you have a pinion angle problem.
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78490
Braking wouldnt be a driveshaft issue unless you down gear and use an engine brake
Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 49165
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliarcer View Post
Im going to check the track bar but would it cause a crazy vibe like that?
Absolutley, the "knock the fillings out of your mouth" death wobbles are very often from loose or sloppy track bar issues. Also look closer at the track bar re-lo bracket, if the hole is the least bit out of round this is very likely your problem. if it is, you'll have to drill it out along with the bushing on the track bar and get a bigger bolt for a tight fit.

BRC MEMBER
CA4WDC MEMBER
FOTR MEMBER
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 87837
Are you having the "death wobble" where it feels like the front wheels are coming off the ground or bouncing OR are you having driveline vibrations from a wrong pinion angle on the rear axle? Seems like some people think it is one and some think it is the other. Either way its fun.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 87376
here is a picture of the drive line maybe you can tell me if the angle would cause vibe or not.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 58117

Personally, I think you need to tweak your pinion angle some. However, I don't think your vibe is caused by this. As I said before, you can always remove the rear DS then drive Jeep in 4hi (careful if auto locker in front axle) to determine if your pinion angle is even an issue. Did you do a front end alignment? Did you check the track bars and brackets as discussed? Give us an up date on where you are in the process, please.

**EDIT** I wasn't going to say anything, but I changed my mind. I am concerned about the fact that sitting on level ground you have little if any spline exposed from the slip yoke of the DS. How compressed is this DS? I say remove the DS and go for a test drive before you do anything else. Others can correct me if I am concerned about nothing.

Last edited by Little Jeep; 03-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 49165
Hey, you have a nice "Beemer" sitting next to the Jeep, you can afford some adjustable rear uppers to take care of the pinion angle. This may or may not be your problem but it needs to be addressed anyway.

BRC MEMBER
CA4WDC MEMBER
FOTR MEMBER
Old 03-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 58117
I made an edit to my last message. Am I concerned about nothing?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 87837
I can't help but notice that you drive line looks like it is colapsed all the way, I think Little Jeep is on to something.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevie Ray View Post
Hey, you have a nice "Beemer" sitting next to the Jeep, you can afford some adjustable rear uppers to take care of the pinion angle. This may or may not be your problem but it needs to be addressed anyway.
LOL
Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 87376
hey the beemer is 4WD, real good in the rocks... I messed with the track bar and it's about 60-70% better vibration wise. Ill have a drive line shop look at my pinion angle and see if i need to mess with it or not. thanks for all the help!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2521
Wait a minute- the track bar has absolutely nothing to do with driveshaft vibration, so if you think it's better it must be in your head. That's what happens when you title a thread like you did and get two sets of people thinking of two different problems.

Anyway, your rear driveshaft situation doesn't look good. Your pinion angle is at least 6 degrees low and rotating it to the proper angle will kill off what little bit of driveshaft compression you have left. The driveshaft will become a bumpstop if it isn't already. It'd probably be OK with a 35 but the 44 is longer in the pinion. So, you can move the axle back, move the powertrain forward, or have the driveshaft redone when the pinion angle's fixed. Pick your poison.

Last edited by Slagburn; 03-01-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Slagburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 58117
heliarcer after you talk with a driveline shop about that compressed DS, and your pinion angle (two issues), let us know what they say. Based upon the photos, you will not be able to adjust the pinion angle because you already have a compressed DS. Normally, you would have a couple inches of spline exposed. Your DS is short, so maybe a inch exposed is all you need? I am not sure what would be cheaper, work on the DS, or ditch the hack N Tap SYE for a heavy duty one, or even a super shorty. I assume that the HnT SYE was installed in the correct location? I am lazy and don't want to read, did you say you are, or are not using a TC drop. If you are using a TC drop, maybe you could ditch it and add some adjustable upper control arms. However, your DS is such, I am not sure that you will have space needed to do this.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 73452
One of my friends on ohio 4x4 just fixed his problem....loose yoke nut.TIghtened it and got rid of all the vibrations.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 26055
Spend more money and get a larger lift. Then you can adjust you pinion angle and your drive shaft will spread a little. Try coil spring spacers, this may be the cheapest way to go. (If not you can sell them to a newbie). I have a set on my coils along with my lift.
I had a front end death wobble also on my XJ, really don't know why. I corrected the problem when I installed a heavy duty trackbar, a Steering conversion, and a better dual steering stabllizers.

Good luck with that
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 49165
Steering stabilizers are useful but they treat the symptom, not the cause.

BRC MEMBER
CA4WDC MEMBER
FOTR MEMBER
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
If you read the post up to yours,you would realize everybody thinks it is his driveshaft causing the vibes.Not death wobble.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 2521
Quote:
Bullshit.
Slagburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 49165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagburn View Post
Bullshit.

Really, maybe you can explain to me how replacing, or even better yet, adding another steering stabilizer will FIX your death wobble or vibe problem. Notice I said FIX and not hide or mask the real problem.

So what your saying is this, you have a wobble or vibe problem, you throw on a beefy stabilizer or two, your wobbles or vibes then go away. Problem fixed? I call Bullshit.

BRC MEMBER
CA4WDC MEMBER
FOTR MEMBER

Last edited by Kevie Ray; 03-03-2007 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.