Warn D30 hub conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
Warn D30 hub conversion

I was looking around and found some install pictures of the warn small hub conversion on a dana 30...and the hubs look an awful lot like an 88 bronco TTB hub design. I have one of those hubs sitting outside in the shed, and can get the other one cheap along with the spindles.

What are the odds that Warn is selling TTB spindles and hubs for over a grand when you can buy the parts for half that price or find an assload of the same TTB setups in the junkyard?
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17632
I've never seen a TTB spindle, but I doubt it has the 3 bolt pattern required to bolt onto the 30 knuckle. It may be very similar enough to make it work though. Maybe next time I'm at the junk yard I'll try to take a look.
Travis..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
Yeah...it's that wierd short-lived version of the TTB that they used for a couple years around 88, with the lockout integrated into the hub assembly that's just press-fit onto the studs rather than held on by the spindle nut like a normal Dana 44 setup. It's the same thing that the warn conversion is, and oddly enough the warn conversion requires a 5x5.5 bolt pattern as well. Any odds of a TTB knuckle fitting onto a dana 30?

I looked up details of the kit, and the warn hubs are 30 spline...probably not the same as the bronco hubs, but this could be a good budget alternative.

Last edited by TJVigilante; 06-08-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
You can get the warn kit in either 5x4.5 or 5x5.5. I've known about the lock-out being the same type as the TTB, my buddy had a Ranger in high school. I never did get to see too deep into it though, the truck was new and didn't need anything.
Travis..
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
Yeah I noticed the 5x4.5 after posting that. Warn did make the hubs for the bronco, could all these be overstock items used for a new purpose? I'm getting with my friend who has the rest of the TTB stuff, to figure out what ujoints it has and if they would match up with the jeep stock ujoint. Stock ford outer, plus spindle-out = quick, easy, cheap junkyard full float 5x5.5 conversion. Rangers for the 5x4.5 if people want to retain that.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
The biggest difference I can find between the ford and Warn parts are the 3 bolt pattern on the Jeep knuckle vs the 5 bolt pattern on the jeep knuckle. You would have to either redrill the spindle or swap to a Ford Knuckle. I have no idea if the knuckles will swap. You'd also need the stub shaft from the TTB axle to put it all together. The Jeep shaft isn't set up with the right snap ring grove to retain the wheel bearings. I think the best approach would be to find a ford outer, complete, and take all of it, including the stub shaft. I'm not sure what the difference in U-joint size is either, it'll probably be the YJ smaller joints. If that's the case, and you've got a 95 or newer D30 you may need to source inner shafts from one of the XJ's that fell in the non-disco, small joint era to make it all work.

I've been wanting to try this for some time but I can't find a D28 TTB front end that anyone's willing to donate to the project and I don't want to go out and buy all those parts only to find they don't work.

Please try it and document your work. I'm very interested to know if this stuff actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante
Warn did make the hubs for the bronco, could all these be overstock items used for a new purpose?
Not likely. There's a real demand for these things by anyone that has a locker in the front. The pushing on the street can be a real pain if you've got an automatic locker. They're not supposed to cause drag but many do.

Last edited by butch6924; 06-08-2007 at 07:54 AM.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37184
If your not afraid of fabbing, the best set up would be to get the "C's" off of a CJ D30, and put them on your post-CJ D30 housings. This would allow use of the D44 knuckles, high steer, if you wanted it, and premium Warn lock-outs. But I'd assume you would need custom axles, and Chevy/Ford hubs don't com in 5-on-4.5 pattern.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
I was planning to keep whatever I do 5x5.5 anyway. I found pictures of the 87 bronco spindle and it's got a 6-bolt pattern, not 5.

The spindle looks the same as the warn spindle as well, besides the pattern. I'd have to take a caliper to both to know for sure though.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26703
Send a message via AIM to NJSurfCowboy
BTT, anyone have any new input on this?
NJSurfCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 47826
call parts mike. He has a whole conversion kit that allows you to use the hubs from the fullsize setups.

[URL="www.polyperformance.com"]www.[COLOR="Red"][B]P[/B][/COLOR]oly[COLOR="Red"][B]P[/B][/COLOR]erformance.com[/URL]

[email]Thean@PolyPerformance.com[/email]
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 63333
The spindle and stub shaft on a Bronco II or Ranger are much smaller than the Warn Conversion.
TSEJEEPERS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24709
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
Yup the ford spindles, hell even D44 spindle mount flanges are smaller than the 3 bolt pattern that you need for the Jeep. They are specificily machined for MM and Warn and are the same part between the two and both bolt patterns, also about $485 a pair from Warn. The large Warn kit is a CJ hub, the bearing for all three: MM, small, large Warn are the same, stubs same between the small kits and 30 spline for the large Warn. The wheel hub is unqiue for the small kits and there isn't a factory spec'ed part that crosses over. Now for the 5 on 5.5 kit you can use any CJ combination on the spindle and it bolts up.

The only thing it has in common with the ford is the outer wheel bearing and the 27 spline locking hubs of 91-94 ranger/explorers. And Warn makes a heavy duty version that they sold with their rear full float kits.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
call parts mike. He has a whole conversion kit that allows you to use the hubs from the fullsize setups.
Really? That's good news!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.