CJ5 SOA Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89925
CJ5 SOA Build

after one day i got the rear done

i took out the bottom smallest leaf to try to get lower than the old 4" BDS SUA springs

drive shaft is to short with the springs at full droop. any suggestions what i should do

if i go with a new cv drive shaft i have the 1980 dana 300 i was told the output shaft is weak and jb conversions makes a stronger one but its only for the 81 and up dana 300's

also any suggestions on bumpstops or should i just use the originals
njjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
NOT CHAZ BONO

Member # 67542
its a little late to make that decision. If you were to go with a CV, you would have to redo your pinion angle to point directly at your tcase output. read up on tom woods website
jpfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Did you stretch the WB at all?Looks like your going to be pretty tall.Is there any weight on the axle now?I would move your rear hanger forward a little.It will help lower it a little.I moved the hanger forward by putting the rear bolt in the front hole,then welded it on the frame also.
As far as the driveshaft,you can add a limiting strap to the diff.This will keep the diff from dropping too far but still allow the axle to articulate.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Get rid of the 4" lift springs, ditch the long shackles. Run a stock (or 1") spring and 3/4" shackles (common OEM aftermarket replacements). That'll move the rear axle back a bit. You are planning on running a SRS on the the front...Right?

Just a comment: You're doing all this work on what appears to be a stock AMC20 with the 2pc shafts? I'm thinking you also have the stock Dana30? If upgrades are in the near future fine, but the reason most people go with a SOA is to run a big tire. A tire larger than 35", which the Dana30 definitely doesn't like, and the 1pc axle shafts/weak AMC20 tubes isn't gonna like, is asking for more problems.

A SOA also opens a whole can of worms and starts to create really issues with a CJ5 in terms of driveability/safety with the narrowtrac axles and short wheelbase. Trail vehicle...Okay if done correctly. Street vehicle...Where you've got to deal with the bluehairs and the soccermoms....
Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 89925
those are the stock springs. i used to have 4" bds sua that is why i did the soa horrible ride no flex. and there is no weight on them. i think i am goin to try a limit strap in the center of the diff to stop the driveshaft from ripping out. and yes i am running stock axles but i still got the 4cyl and only live in jersey so the trails are pretty easy i have the superior one piece axles on the way and eventually i will prob go with one tons and a sbc sm465 but first i just want to wheel it again before the summer is over.

thanks for all the help it will be rolling on all fours buy tonight
njjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
AZUndertaker

Member # 89449
You will find that you need a traction bar of some sort. I did this same thing to my CJ7 for the same reason it now rides much better but I did have alot of spring wrap on the rear axle causing the jeep to bounce reallt bad. this is a good way to brake axles and other stuff.
I built a single torque bar to control the springwrap. it works very well no more bouncing.
Rocking J Offroad Race Team #777 / Team Crossedup #4431
We want to thank our sponsors for their continued support:
Amanda Products USA
Rocking J Offroad, LLC.
Crossedup Customs
ADS Racing Shocks
Artec Industries
Ruffstuff Specialties
JRat Offroad/ Sixty9 Axle
Yukon Axle and Gear
Raceline Wheels

Give these business your support so they can support us!
azhayseed is offline   Reply With Quote