HELP with steering issue... looking for possible diagnosis - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49315
HELP with steering issue... looking for possible diagnosis

weird thing happened last night with no foreseeable reason. I went to pull out of the driveway & only my left wheel turned. Maybe the right turned a little, but the front wheels were far from parallel. After straightening the wheels as best as possible & backing up a little to check things out, something popped & both wheels were responsive again. I was in a rush & didn't have time to examine anything... it worked, so I was off on my way to a meeting. The steering pulls a little to the right now, and the alignment is probably off, as both wheels are ever so slightly not parallel. The Jeep handled highway speed fine.

Do you guys have any idea of what I should check? Nothing is visibly loose and I can't figure out for the life of me what the "pop" was, except maybe threads sliding in/out somewhere? No offroad use directly preceded this, only a tire rotation 2 days before, and I can't see how that would be related.

I'm running the Currie HD steering w/ 35s & a 4" AiROCK setup. We did lift the suspension up fully and lift the corners off the ground individually w/ a HiLift to work on some stuff - dunno if any stress could've been put on the steering during that, but I can't imagine that causing any problems.

Could it be that I just need an alignment? I simply don't want this to happen again... Help.

Thanks,
Scott
scott pruett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87159
Send a message via Yahoo to ARB_jon
are your lug nuts tight?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 49315
They were tightened w/ an impact wrench, but I'll double-check. What difference would that make with steering?

Edit: checked. they're tight & all intact.

Last edited by scott pruett; 09-20-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
That Currie set-up has an aluminum tierod doesn't it? You might check the threads, maybe a TRE is pulling out like you said. I would check it immediately, you don't want to lose control at freeway speeds.
Travis..
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 49315
Thanks Travis. The tie rod is 1.25" chromo steel, but yeah, I'll def. check the TREs shortly.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99787
You have something seriously wrong. Do not drive the Jeep. Have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth while you look for loose or broken parts.

Tube bending/notching, Rollcages, Differential Repair and Modification, Suspension, Chassis--> Turnkey, Custom Axles, Alignments
Need pricing on any of the following product lines?

Yukon, Rubicon Express, PRP Suspension Seats, Dana Spicer, Eaton, or Advanced Adapters.....

Give us a call, pm us or stop by the shop for pricing or estimates.
Appalachian Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 49315
from another board (ROF):

Quote:
I'd pull your steering setup entirely-the "popping" sound you heard likely may not be visually seen just by inspection. Pull the steering, and thoroughly inspect the ends-I one had a similar thing happen, somehow-I have honestly NO idea how or why, but somehow the ends slipped inside the rod-the pop was the sound of the entire end being shoved inward, and yes, same tire movement you mentioned. Again, no CLUE how or why it happened, but it did. I'd tear it apart, remove both ends and see-look for thread condition, and see if anything appears to be rounded/worn or shaved a bit-both inside and on the ends themselves. Also check for the lock bolts on the outside-they can come loose and under your AirRoc at full up or down MAY have caused interference with the two outter lock bolts for the rod, binding on the drag link, then popping when they moved. I recently flexed mine out enough to cause interference on my passenger side lock bolt on the Currie rod, it "popped", but was the sound moving it on the rod-had to change position slightly-my own fault for not cycling suspension enough and checking for bind. I'm NOT familiar with AirRoc, but as it does go up/down so much, I'd look into that as well-causing bind issues on your steering setup at either full up, or full down position-just an option.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 49315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Offroad View Post
You have something seriously wrong. Do not drive the Jeep. Have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth while you look for loose or broken parts.
done. nothing is visibly loose and/or broken. it looks normal.

don't worry, it won't be driven until I make sure all is well.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 70321
My Currie Currect-Lync (can that really be how that is spelled?) has the lock bolts really close to the sway bar attachments. I've been wondering if it will rub during flex and I figure I'll find out in the next two weeks in Moab. It's only been on about three weeks and I keep listening for noise made by the locking nuts that hold the TRE in adjustment rubbing against stuff in turns.

Nothing a grinder won't fix...

Scorpion Bed Liner
[url]http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/[/url]

Spiderwebshade
[url]http://www.spiderwebshade.com/[/url]
soilantgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 70321
OK...a couple more things. "Currectlync" really is how it's spelled, just without the hyphen.

And, when I called Currie customer/technical service about some of my issues, I got good results. I was fighting a condition where I couldn't turn the wheels as far as I had been able to before the installation. I was asked if I had a dropped pitman arm. Of course: with my suspension setup it was necessary. Wrong! I was told that if I'd go back to a stock pitman arm then the Currectlync set up was designed to correct the geometry that was messed up by the lift. I was put in the position of having to find a stock :gasp: piece to go back onto my TJ. But it did fix the problem. Now I've got a dropped pitman arm to get rid of! The wheels turn just as far lock to lock as they did before the correction and now I've got two pieces of solid stock for a drag link and tie rod.

Call Darryl in customer service at Currie and see if that might help.

Scorpion Bed Liner

Spiderwebshade
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 49315
sweet... i'll call tomorrow
Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 70321
Hope it helps.

Scorpion Bed Liner

Spiderwebshade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.