trans problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 82262
trans problem

I think I blew my transmission. My girlfriends dad who is a mechanic came down and had a quick look and said its the transmission but I have had a few people telling me otherwise.

Its actually really wierd, I was pulling out of the parking lot and got about half a km and then my jeep stalled. Wouldnt start then started for a few seconds enough to get pulled over. I got out and it looks like its leaking brownish fluid from the transmission (guessing I got water in there). But the wierd thing is the jeep is stalling out. There is no grinding at all, and I can drive forwards (in first) and backwards with no slipping at all.

A guy in a ram stopped to give me a hand (turns out he has a TJ on 38s) and he can get me a used trans this weekend for $100

Last edited by frumpy; 09-26-2007 at 11:58 AM.
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 58117
Are we talking about an automatic, or manual transmission? What transmission? In what Jeep? Have you done a recent water crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
I think I blew my transmission. My girlfriends dad who is a mechanic came down and had a quick look and said its the transmission but I have had a few people telling me otherwise.

Its actually really wierd, I was pulling out of constitine parking lot and got almost to the walk overpass to the gym and then my jeep stalled. Wouldnt start then started for a few seconds enough to get pulled over. I got out and it looks like its leaking brownish fluid from the transmission (guessing I got water in there). But the wierd thing is the jeep is stalling out. There is no grinding at all, and I can drive forwards (in first) and backwards with no slipping at all.

A guy in a ram stopped to give me a hand (turns out he has a TJ on 38s) and he can get me a used trans this weekend for $100
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 82262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jeep View Post
Are we talking about an automatic, or manual transmission? What transmission? In what Jeep? Have you done a recent water crossing?
sorry, forgot all the important stuff.

Manual transmission, think its the ax-5 in a 98 TJ SE 4 cylinder. Last water crossings werent too bad but i guess a few spots got deep and that would have been the end of August... and no I didnt change my fluids like I probably should have.

Last edited by frumpy; 09-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
If your clutch engages and disengages, and you say it will drive, why would your engine not wanting to run make the trans bad? I don't get it?
Travis..
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 82262
I dont get it either, thats the problem
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 58117
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
If your clutch engages and disengages, and you say it will drive, why would your engine not wanting to run make the trans bad? I don't get it?
Travis..
Will the engine stay running with transmission in neutral or clutch pressed in?

Have you inspected the transmission, removed TC skid and drain plug?

Too many pieces of information missing for me to see connection between engine stalling and transmission. BTW, the AX-5 is crap, so I would be looking for a spare
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82262
Its dropped off already. He said its the transmission for sure and going to check for other damage. Im having him do the diffs and check the transfer case as well. All the breather tubes are going to be routed up under the hood now too.

Already found a transmission for $100 that im getting this weekend.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Have him open the trans so you can take pics and post them. With the limited info you have given, I'd like to see what was actually wrong.
Travis..
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 82262
Dropped it off last night, he will be tearing into it tomorrow so I will try to get a pic. Heres one I snapped on my phone just before dropping it off. Its leaking from where it bolts up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.