89 YJ 350 swap ??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 93930
89 YJ 350 swap ???

My YJ had a 6cly carb and I want to put a 350 carb in it. I know this will eliminate a lot of the wiring, but what do I need to keep. The electronic ignition control unit i think I can just bypass right? If so, what do I need to crank the engine? I have no Idea about what Im doing. Thanks for the help.
syd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 95348
Send a message via AIM to Ryalt
First search, there are a lot of other people who have done the same/similar stuff.

But I'd worry mostly about your axles, transmission and all that being able to take the power of a 350. Changing the engine isn't the only thing you have to do for that swap.
Ryalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Beginnings

Member # 99513
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd45 View Post
My YJ had a 6cly carb and I want to put a 350 carb in it. I know this will eliminate a lot of the wiring, but what do I need to keep. The electronic ignition control unit i think I can just bypass right? If so, what do I need to crank the engine? I have no Idea about what Im doing. Thanks for the help.
First you need to look into your state laws governing smog legal issues and stuff.

Second: go buy a chilton's book so you have the diagrams of your engine set up. This will tell you what you can bypass or not. You might want to more searching on this mod also. I never seen or done this. I have heard of it being done.

Good luck

NEW BEGINNINGS:
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/971511-jealle-o-cigano.html
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 93767
Why not just buy a tbi 350, they are cheap and the wiring is not that difficult. The extra trouble it takes to install it will be less than the troubles you have with the carb in the future.
ld50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 93930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryalt View Post
First search, there are a lot of other people who have done the same/similar stuff.

But I'd worry mostly about your axles, transmission and all that being able to take the power of a 350. Changing the engine isn't the only thing you have to do for that swap.
8.8 going in rear.HPd30 will hold up fine for now.Th400 /stak4x4 t-case.Im OK just need to wire the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post
First you need to look into your state laws governing smog legal issues and stuff.

Second: go buy a chilton's book so you have the diagrams of your engine set up. This will tell you what you can bypass or not. You might want to more searching on this mod also. I never seen or done this. I have heard of it being done.
Do not have to go through inspection. I have searched, but no one has told me how to wire this up.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld50 View Post
Why not just buy a tbi 350, they are cheap and the wiring is not that difficult. The extra trouble it takes to install it will be less than the troubles you have with the carb in the future.
I allready have engine and holley truck avenger.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 52203
sbc carb wiring is easy, couple wires, one run from starter to ignition switch for starting(hot in start position only), one run from a wire that is hot on start and run positions to distributor (if using hei). also run this wire to choke if its electric.
yjmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 93930
You tap into the HEI hot wire for electric choke. the 6cly had an electric choke and i was planning on tracing the wire back and see if i could just tap into it. but if what you say is true it makes my life easier.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Assuming that turbo 400 is behind your 6cyl, it will not bolt to your 350.
Travis..