AMC 20 Problems (rebuild) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99496
AMC 20 Problems (rebuild)

A friend brought me over a (New to Him) AMC 20 with maybe 100 miles (PO went a different route), the PO geared it up with 4.10 and a locker.. When I checked it out the pinion was loose (slop), I told him I would rebuild it just incase because you I dont trust some people.. I tore into the axle and there was bearly any wear but the bearings didnt feel new and yet didnt feel old.. I noticed the crush sleeve wasnt crushed eitherand it didnt feel like the outer bearing was properly seated.. Anyways I go ahead and rebuild it.. The only problem Im having is that now after setting it up with a set up bearing, I put the new bearing on and its tight, I mean stripping 3 pinion nuts tight 3 different times before the bearing is seated (1st one original and already messed up) The pinion threads are fine and its the right nut.. Ive never delt with a bearing being so tough, Im almost wondering if the pinion might be bent or the bearing is, Im thinking about putting the pinion on a lathe and checking and or take some sandpaper to it to take about a .001 or more off.. Has any one ever had this issue with the axle?
NotSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Am I to understand you are using the pinion nut to draw the pinion through the bearing, thus pressing it on? If so, why would you do this? They make a thing called a "shop press" that will handle this sort of thing with ease. If you are having some other problem that I am not understanding, ignore the previous statement.
Travis..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99496
I cant get the whole axle in the Press.. Typically thats what you do when your trying to put the pinion together, Its the forward bearing..
NotSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 99490
must be wrong bearing, I put one together yesterday and I pushed the bearing on with very little effort, just measure the inside of the bearing and the outside of the pinion and you should have your answer..
cjdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote