Removable Winches - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81896
Removable Winches

I am looking for some ideas on removable winch set ups. I plan to build a receiver hitch winch mount that is movable to my truck and jeep. Anyone have pics of there setups?
Thanks

87 4runner Dana 60 14 bolt 39's

Tow Rig: 2010 Cummins, stock.
hickengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87159
Send a message via Yahoo to ARB_jon
BAD IDEA all that weight will be on teh hitch pin
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17632
If I were building one, I'd make it with 2 inserts, one at each end. It will be a bit heavier, but you would be able to side pull without worry. I don't like the idea of a single insert carrier for wheeling.
Travis..
Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 83025
removables are cool for camping and daily driving, but when it comes down to it and you need to pull line, you will want that thing securely anchored in place.
rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15718
my dad just bought a 10k winch from sam's club (http://www.championpowerequipment.com/C10586.php)

the cradle just has a piece of 2x2 square tubing welded on the bottom that goes into the receiver. haven't used it to pull anywhere near 10k though. so far we've just used it to pull downed trees out of my woods to cut them up, but no problems yet.
cj7jeep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2205
I have a Warn xd9000i mounted on a home-made winch cradle and bumper/hitch. I have used it a few times to pull myself out of being high centered or stuck. Also used it to pull a car sideways after it ran 1/2 way off the side of a hill on a snow covered mountain road. No issues with the setup. I wouldnt mount it like this on a hardcore crawler but for my DD, general trail riding explorer it works great. I also have the wiring to wire my rear bumper so I can use it on the back as well which is a nice benefit to the setup. Just finished wiring the rear of the tow rig to use the winch too.

The winch cradle is 1/4" plate with some front and back pieces welded on to make a U-channel shape. The handles are bolt on made from 1/8" thick steel with some conduit welded in. The receiver goes under the entire winch plate to the front for extra strength and weld area, I sliced half of it off and basically frenched the winch plate into the receiver tube.

The major problems are that it decreases approach angle when installed and it is heavy to move around. I just put syn. rope on it and it made it much easier to handle, it dropped 20+ pounds.
Attached Images

NMOffroad.com
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 85056
Get your hands on a Warn catolog..if I remember right theres a few pictures of guys running them. just a thought.
jeeprockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5963
my friedn uses one on his EB. it works great. he hasn't broken anything. just make sure your hitch pin can handle the weight.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 81896
Thanks for the replies, i know this are not the most desirable for a crawler but i need somthing to go from the truck to jeep which ever is needed. I hope have something completed in a few weeks i will repost when finished.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 32034
i bought a cradle that you can have if you want it. i'll never use it. it makes the winch stick out so far it's completely unpractical on the trails. first time you climb something or drive through a ditch you're going to burry that winch in the ground or rocks. now for a tow vehicle it's great. you can wire it to pull from the front or rear and even wire your trailer with a deep cycle battery and use it to pull a disabled vehicle on the trailer.

but for a trail rig of any kind i'd vote no.
CJ4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
i run a 9500 winch from a hitch mount. it works just fine. here are some pros and cons:

Pro: only have the winch on when you need it. otherwise keep it in the trunk or garage.
Pro: front or rear pulling
Pro: swap 1 winch between vehicles, trailers

Con: it sticks out really far in the front when mounted
Con: the setup weighs in at like 100lbs
Con: rediculously difficult to get the winch out of the trunk, and mounted upfront when youre moving through 3' of mud and awkwardly carrying 100lbs.

[QUOTE=Grim Reaper]Cause of death: Natural selection. :laughing: [/QUOTE]

Girls fake orgasms, guys fake relationships
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 58117
The other thing to consider is when a winch is mounted normally to a Jeep, it is bolted to the Frame rails of the Jeep. A moveable winch is basically attached to a plate that is attached to the bumper which is then attached to the frame. That is a lot of attachment points that need to be upto the job.
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 81896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ View Post
i run a 9500 winch from a hitch mount. it works just fine. here are some pros and cons:

Pro: only have the winch on when you need it. otherwise keep it in the trunk or garage.
Pro: front or rear pulling
Pro: swap 1 winch between vehicles, trailers

Con: it sticks out really far in the front when mounted
Con: the setup weighs in at like 100lbs
Con: rediculously difficult to get the winch out of the trunk, and mounted upfront when youre moving through 3' of mud and awkwardly carrying 100lbs.

Thanks for the responce, i have a hand full of reasons to be looking into the removable winch. The first one is for the circumstance i need to winch the jeep on the goose neck trailer, i can use the reciever hitch on the truck to pull the jeep or any vehicle on the trailer. Then i am also able to use the truck as a recovery vehicle if needed and the jeep is inoperable to run the winch. The third is to have the winch on the jeep. I understand the clearence issues and i do not plan to have the winch out on the front unless needed and that will keep the weight off the front also. If money was not an issue this would not be a topic but i am sure we all know what its like to try to fit all the tools and toys you need in a budget.
Thanks for the thoughts its good to hear from people that are using these on trail.

Last edited by hickengineering; 12-07-2007 at 01:37 PM.