Exo cages... tubing questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45462
Exo cages... tubing questions

On avg...

How much(length) do you need? <-- biggest question (I only plan to make the order once, my plan was to order 5 sticks(20ft a stick, total of 100ft) is 100ft enough or is it over kill... I want a strong cage...but I also dont want a godly cage)

What dim 1.25" or 1.5? is 1.25 big enough... DOM tubing btw

What inner wall?

Spex:

Full bodied XJ

Ordering 1.25x? or 1.5x? DOM

I have been searching around and no one seems to give the layout of matterials it takes to make it... reason for asking these questions... and yes I have every tool and more to construct a cage

Thanks
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 90393
why can't you draw-up a "rough" idea of what you want to build, then grab a pocket tape and get a "rough" total dim of shit you need, then add on a factor for waste and any errors you make make.......kinda like what i always do when i am gonna fab some cage

btwn 1.25 and 1.5, i would go 1.5 for sure. wall thickness would be .1875 (3/16) if DOM. that's what i would use.
rockrknockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 45462
Thanks for the great advice... I have it all layed out and well Im just not smart enough to use a tape measure LOL jk

I was just hoping someone already had a general idea... but I think it would be smart to just lay it out on the jeep and take measurements
Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 51185
I don't think 100 ft will be enough. When factoring waste remember that it come in 20ft sticks and you dont wan't to splice together five 1-2ft pieces. 1.5 would be a min
5.2Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 90393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepernick View Post
Thanks for the great advice... I have it all layed out and well Im just not smart enough to use a tape measure LOL jk

I was just hoping someone already had a general idea... but I think it would be smart to just lay it out on the jeep and take measurements
yeah and no XJ exo is gonna be the same design so the length of tube will will vary.

it would be sweet if your "plan" worked and only have to make one order of tube and you use every last inch of it with absolutely no waste and none left over...........................pipe dream

good luck and have fun
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 45462
I know what you mean and I know there is a lot of waste/left over

A few of us are buying about 400ft. I paying for 100Ft and Im sure there will be plenty left over for the extra parts(bracing, gussets, ect) BUT I guess I will pay for 150ft, first going to do a lot of measuring and find out what I really need.

The only way we have been able to find DOM is buying it in bulk. no one around here will sell it by the stick. I buy everything else from them by the stick, just not DOM.(Dont know why, just the way they are)

I almost just went with HREW, but the guy that is going to help me do the bends(aka owns a hydro bender) said that shit is a waste of money...Which I know it is, I just didnt know how to get DOM and I didnt want to buy 400Ft for just me. I would never use that much tubing.

Anyways... Thanks for the advice... I will plan it out this weekend and hoping soon we will order all the tubing.

I have some super cool ideas for the cage, I will post it up as I go along im sure
Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 90393
Quote:
I know what you mean and I know there is a lot of waste/left over

A few of us are buying about 400ft. I paying for 100Ft and Im sure there will be plenty left over for the extra parts(bracing, gussets, ect) BUT I guess I will pay for 150ft, first going to do a lot of measuring and find out what I really need.

The only way we have been able to find DOM is buying it in bulk. no one around here will sell it by the stick. I buy everything else from them by the stick, just not DOM.(Dont know why, just the way they are)

I almost just went with HREW, but the guy that is going to help me do the bends(aka owns a hydro bender) said that shit is a waste of money...Which I know it is, I just didnt know how to get DOM and I didnt want to buy 400Ft for just me. I would never use that much tubing.

Anyways... Thanks for the advice... I will plan it out this weekend and hoping soon we will order all the tubing.

I have some super cool ideas for the cage, I will post it up as I go along im sure
sounds cool.yeah it can't hurt to have some extra in the garage for little projects in the future. you will be glad you have it when the time comes. beats the shit out of locating some etc when you have this project you really want to do but don't have the material.

good luck, have FUN
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 45462
that the project I want to do now and havent got a single foot of it

Ya it is like a one shot deal... or we would have to do another round of metal together

We have to order at least 400FT.... im beginning to hate ordering metal

I think we desided to order 500FT+, we are going to put all are measurements together this weekend and start throwing money at the pot

I think we may end up getting 600 because one of the dudes is tubing a 4runner
Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Where do you live? I can buy it by the foot if I want...

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1044
I use 1 3/4" on everything. 1 1/2" is pretty small to be taking hits like an exo will...
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 45462
Really by the foot...

I wish I could at least get it by the stick

I live in Oregon

1.5 is fine for me and if anything I would go smaller not bigger... I dont plan to roll my rig, nor will I test it in the parking lot out side my shop LOL
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 89901
i used 8 20' sticks of 1.5" .120 wall. Had about 10 feet of off cuts left over. That was for a complete exo & internal b & c lateral support bars.
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 97851
A hundred feet of tubing won't go nearly as far as one would think. and exo's use a lot more than an interior cage. Here's one I recently did and it's well over 100' closer to 150'-170' I can't remember now. Plus you need to plan your cuts carefully so you can keep your longer sections one piece.

Due to unforseen situations I'm moving to the northern Nevada area, not sure where I'm going to live or work but I'll figure it out. Suggestions are welcome.

[B][COLOR="Lime"]FNG @ Shaffer's Off Road[/COLOR][/B]

[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606072"]Project M.U.T.T.[/URL] My current build ... Sold!

[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616957"]"Lost Samurai"[/URL]

[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25249589"]Myspace[/URL]

Last edited by Poison Arrow; 12-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Poison Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
I LYKE TRUX

Member # 80235
Quote:
Really by the foot...

I wish I could at least get it by the stick

I live in Oregon

1.5 is fine for me and if anything I would go smaller not bigger... I dont plan to roll my rig, nor will I test it in the parking lot out side my shop LOL
Swift steel in redmond OR sells DOM by the foot.
OregonYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 45462
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYO View Post
Swift steel in redmond OR sells DOM by the foot.
problem is i live in scappoose

but thanks, i will give them a call it may be worth the drive