TJ wont start - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50476
Send a message via AIM to fearfact Send a message via Yahoo to fearfact
TJ wont start

i posted in the newbie section and haven't gotten any responses, and i really need the help. i do wheel my TJ and its not beuty queen, ive just always been very lucky and never had many problems mechanically with any vehicle, any assistance would be really really appreciated.
it starts but its not liking that to much. i put in ayellow top about a 6 weeks ago and it had no troubles, i let the jeep sit about 2.5 weeks while i was back home in NH and when i got back it started hard. cranks and cranks and eventually starts, sometime its a short pause and its good, other times it takes a bit longer, but it starts everytime (so far) now if its sitting for a few hours then it starts harder but if its only a couple mins itll start easier. liek i said it doesnt crank over fast like it always used to... any ideas? there is a little corrosion/power on the wire but the connection is good and clean, but maybe theres some deeper into the wire.
i got the battery tested, that was a PIA since its an optima but its all good. the jeep sat for a couple days while the batt. was out and when i reinstalled it today it wouldnt start, crank and crank away but wouldnt start, finally did after cranking for a bit and getting some throttle but itll immedietly die unless the revs are up, i kept it at about 1500-2000 for a coupel mins and let off, still died. im thinking alternator, but i dunno. ive alwasy been lucky and never had alt or starter issues in past vehicles... input? the idea of a fuel pump was just brought up to me aswell... i have no cash right now so i cant just wing it. thanks a ton
fearfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103813
Maybe the starter is going out? And if it is dry starting maybe you got debri in the line? I am no pro but it's just me 2 cents. Trying to help.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 90393
so it ran fine BEFORE you put the yellow top in? why did you put the yellow top in? just curious to help analyze the problem.

some say it's not good to do but i have always done this to test the alternator:

have the ground cable loose on the battery, get the engine running and dis-co the negative cable. if the engine keeps running the alt is good. sounds redneck but it works.

redtop optimas are better suited for starting conventional engines although the yellow should be ok too.

big hint for me is when you say the starter doesn't spin as fast as it used to. that is not a fuel problem but rather a power/battery problem(provided the starter is good).

i am leaning towards the battery/cable connections/ground.

do you have a battery out of another car you can try?
rockrknockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 55214
I was reading ,,,,, Rock Nocker has this nailed to the wall. Good advice! Good luck buddy!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 50476
sorry abou tthat all over 1st post, i had this up in a couple other forums and jsut pastred it all together for one read here. so far youre doing 100x's more to help me than the others, and i expected flames!
i threw in the yellow top cause the old battery was junk and i deployed for 8 months, so right befor ei returned i had a friend thro this one in for me. it was running fine when i first got back, a month or so, then i went to NH for some leave, when i got back it was all down hill. slow start, go tslower and slower now it wont go at all w/o gasing it, and itll still die once i let off the pedal. thansk again guys, i really appreciate this
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 50476
itll start now, with a jump and throttle, wont stay running w/o throttle though..theres is some corrosion on the power and ground cables to the battery? could that be my culprit? seems like a stretch but im a rookie on this stuff. i havent had the time to mess with this so far, this week/weekend i should be able to.limited time/resources and $ are the big problems!
whatre good cable replacement, i know jeepers and creepers make a nice simple swap but theyre down for another week or so till i can get ahold of them..
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 99513
When I replaced my battery in my YJ with a yellow top, I also had new cables made at a local Car Audio Shop. I took my old main power wires and ground wires to the shop and asked for the biggest, best connectors and wire. That was 7 years ago. to this day. I have ZERO problems starting my motor.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971511[/url]
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote