Please Educate Me: Lee Mfg. Steering Box for TJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41056
Please Educate Me: Lee Mfg. Steering Box for TJ

I'm interested in finding the best steering box upgrade for my TJ. From what I can tell Lee has the best unit out there if one is willing to pay up for it.

Here's what I understand from reading a few different threads:

The 808 box is the one for a jeep. It has 3 bearings as opposed to 2 in the stock box. It's completely blueprinted and tested before being shipped out. In addition, it provides more power assist than the stock box and may not require ram assist up to 35" tires. The box is plug and play with the exception of being larger than stock, so changes may be required for mounting a steering skid.

In order to use this box the pump must be upgraded. Lee can provide a rebuilt stock pump that will provide the necessary flow for the box, as well as ram assist and hydroboost. This pump uses a different size pulley so a different length belt will be required.

A power steering cooler is highly recommended.

I also saw a reference that indicated this box may not be good for people who daily drive their jeeps. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Hopefully those of you that have this box will fill in the blanks, correct any mistakes and provide feedback as to how the box has been performing in the field and share your experience with post sales customer support.

Thanks!
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote