Put an Amsoil Bypass filter in the Grand - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Put an Amsoil Bypass filter in the Grand

So I started this from this thread. I have known about the bypass filters and extended oil change oils for a while now. This is popular in the diesel world as a diesel oil change is 15 quarts. Years ago when I learned about this I didn't see the point, even with the 40K-50K I was putting on my F350. However a couple months ago I had the oil changed in the truck and the bill was $110 . That made the extended oil changes more interesting. At first I was only going to do this on the truck, but got looking at it and decided to do the Grand as well.

The idea is that the only reasons to change you oil is because the oil is filthy or the oil is no longer doing its job. Your standard dyno oil will degrade over time. This is where the high quality synthetics come into play. Now when I talk about high quality thats oils a step above the basic stuff you get at PepBoys. Several companies offer these oils, including Amsoil. In my research there are some differences and advantages but for my purposes many of those advantages didn't matter. I went with Amsoil because Po'riggity(Scott) on the board is a dealer and hooked me up. Scott was a lot of help and made the choice quite easy. Drop him a line if you want to do this yourself. These high quality synthetics under normal use can last upwards of 60,000 miles or more. I have talked to several people with light duty diesel trucks like Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstrokes that are pushing 80,000 miles and still going.

The other side of this is the filthy oil. This is where the bypass filter comes into play. The bypass filter takes a small amount of oil and filters it to 2 microns. Typically this is taken from the oil pressure sensor and returned to the oil pan or valve cover. It takes several hours of use to filter all the oil, of course depending on how much oil your engine has. The bypass filter, as the name implies, does not replace the factory full flow filter, its additional filtration. Po.riggity recommended the Amsoil BMK-11 bypass filter mounting kit and the EAO-BP90-bypass filter. These are probably overkill for the little 4L in the Grand, but it will be the same filter I use in the Superduty so that will make things easier. I also got a petcock that mounts on top of the Bypass filter head that makes oil sampling easy.

This brings up the insurance of an oil analysis. I have used Blackstone labs in the past and have been very happy with them. I know Amsoil has an oil analysis program as well, but I am going to stick with what I have. Its pretty simple. You order a free sample kit, take a sample in the plastic jar, fill out the information sheet, seal it up, fill out the address, and drop it in the mail. In about a week you will get an email with an analysis sheet like this. The will include suggestions and comments as well. If you really want a thorough analysis you can pay more and get that as well.

So now with this setup I have clean oil and long lasting oil. The new maintenance program is a full flow filter change at 5000 miles, both filters changed at 10,000 miles and an oil analysis at 10,000 miles. I will probably get an analysis at 3K and replace the first full flow at 3K just to be sure everything is clean. When the oil analysis comes back saying its time to change the oil, I change the oil. I know for the Grand its not as big a deal, but with oil prices out of control, so much these days on oil dependency, and oil disposal this is just a good idea. Besides when I put in the bypass filter and changed my oil the stupid POS oil change pan I have didnít vent fast enough and I ended up spilling a couple of quarts of oil on the driveway. I wonít miss that.

I am sending out the oil analysis to Blackstone and I will post results as time goes by. In a couple of months I am going to do the same to the superduty. The nice thing about Blackstone is they maintain a record of your oil analysisí and will trend the results for you. This can help catching a potential issue before it becomes a real problem.

Next post will contain pics and installation.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Installation

The installation was kind of a pain. As many of you know there is a fair amount of room in the engine compartment of a Grand with the 4L. Unfortunately all that room on the passenger side is has no easily accessible mounting surfaces. You don't want to mount these things to the engine if you can avoid it. You also want to mount them as vertical as possible. This is the Filter head and filters. The big one is the Bypass Filter and as you can see it needs some room. Also there is a shot of the filter head with the hose and neat swivel fitting I did not use.

I ended up mounting the Bypass Filter off the shock tower with a simple bracket. I need to pull the bracket, clean it up and paint it.

Attached Images

Last edited by TheTonka; 04-07-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Formatting
TheTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Installation part 2

I am getting the oil from the oil pressure sending unit port which is pretty easy to see, but not that easy to get at. I ended up mangling the sending unit getting it off . Its still works though.

The oil is returned to the valve cover. You can do this several ways, and there are some nice pieces included in the kit. The one nice piece is the swivel adapter that you can use with the oil filler cap. The grands filler cap won't work with this and the oil pan hangs down a bit too low for my tastes. Since there is a nice flat spot on the front of the valve cover that will clear the rockers I chose there. The installation is simple. You punch a hole(don't drill or your get shavings in there) and screw in the self tapping adapter. Make sure you clear the rockers .

After mounting at tapping everything I hooked up the hoses. The kit comes with hose fittings and hose so you can build your own hoses to whatever length you need. It was really easy. I like how it all turned out. The layout is simple and though the bypass filter is tight in there and not the easiest to get at it mounted solid and everything is out of harms way.

After all is installed you fill it up with oil and check for leaks. Surprisingly I didn't have any leaks.

I missed a few shots in the installation. If you have any questions let me know. I will post up the analysis results when I get them.

Attached Images

Last edited by TheTonka; 04-07-2008 at 10:57 AM.
TheTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Is my computer screwed up.. I don't see pics Glad you got it all installed. The BMK-11 kit and the BP-90 filter are the smallest bypass filters that Amsoil makes.. So, while it was a bit big for the Grand, its the smallest I could get
Looks good.. and I look forward to the analysis results. I am also glad to see you going with Blackstone, since they are NOT affiliated with Amsoil, it will be a non-bias analysis, since a lot of people think that Amsoil pushes a bias on the company they use.
Scott
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Pics come thru fine for me. Anyone else not see them????
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
X here
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1763
Send a message via AIM to Grnscru
I see a bunch of red X's
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Check now. I fawked up the image links, and apparently Firefox maintained them in cache. I clear the cache and they disappeared. Ever since I left the IT world to be an Engineer again I have gotten really computer stupid.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1515
workin now Looks good! I like the way you tapped into the valve cover.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
workin now Looks good! I like the way you tapped into the valve cover.
I was pretty worried I was going to fawk that up.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Excellent write-up, and I am definitely considering.

Po' Riggity, can you pm me information on what kit I would need for a F350 2001 7.3L as well, and pricing, recomended filters, fluid, etc?

Thanks!

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
What would I need for my buggy?

Ford 302 HO (5.0L Mustang Engine).

Could I use it AFTER or BEFORE my external oil cooler???

-Todd
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Excellent write-up, and I am definitely considering.

Po' Riggity, can you pm me information on what kit I would need for a F350 2001 7.3L as well, and pricing, recomended filters, fluid, etc?

Thanks!

Gui
Gui, give me a few minutes, and I will PM you..
Scott
Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
What would I need for my buggy?

Ford 302 HO (5.0L Mustang Engine).

Could I use it AFTER or BEFORE my external oil cooler???

-Todd

Todd, I'm sure you could use it either way. I'd probably just do it before the cooler. If you'd like a quote on the parts, I can do that for you
Scott
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1515
How did you punch the valve cover? Did you just use a big punch and go for it?
Scott
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1515
btt for anyone who's thinking about doing this.
Scott
Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
How did you punch the valve cover? Did you just use a big punch and go for it?
Scott
Yeah I had a small punch. I say I had cause that valve cover is tough. I don't have the punch anymore. Next time I'll buy a punch somewhere other than HF.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
It's a canister type filter and not a cartridge type? I heard about bypass filter on cumminsforum, where a guy did a writeup with a cartridge type setup.

I might try doing this on my v8 Grand since I am terrible at scheduled oil changes.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Wheeler View Post
It's a canister type filter and not a cartridge type? I heard about bypass filter on cumminsforum, where a guy did a writeup with a cartridge type setup.

I might try doing this on my v8 Grand since I am terrible at scheduled oil changes.
Scott'll hook you up.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 8294
The wife has gone through 2 tanks in the Grand and based on my calculations and the mileage thingy in the overhead console(yeah I know they usually aren't accurate, but this one really is) the grand has picked up almost 2 MPG. She drives it mostly around town taking the boy to school and doing errands for food, the gym, starbucks and her bible study. Before the Amsoil it was getting 17.8, now I am seeing 19.7. Need to take a long trip to see if the highway mileage increased much.

I'm happy. Probably going to do the truck after the homebrew fest.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Wheeler View Post

Thetonka is right... I will hook you up if you are interested in a bypass setup. Shoot me a PM if you would like something.
Scott
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonka View Post
The wife has gone through 2 tanks in the Grand and based on my calculations and the mileage thingy in the overhead console(yeah I know they usually aren't accurate, but this one really is) the grand has picked up almost 2 MPG. She drives it mostly around town taking the boy to school and doing errands for food, the gym, starbucks and her bible study. Before the Amsoil it was getting 17.8, now I am seeing 19.7. Need to take a long trip to see if the highway mileage increased much.

I'm happy. Probably going to do the truck after the homebrew fest.
Glad to hear its helped you brother! I really need to get off my duff and install the bypass on my truck too.. I am thinking about doing something a bit different and installing one on my 88 toyota pickup, to delay the oil changes longer
Scott
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8294

I'll need to order the kit for the truck in a week or two. I'll post up another thread on it. If I can find time.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Very nice writeup! I have also delt with Blackstone Labs and they are a great company to deal with. I'm interested in doing this to my 4.6L stroker I have in my YJ. Scott, could you get me info and pricing please? It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Matt- You got a PM bro.
Scott