brake problem...vette master 4w disk - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18561
brake problem...vette master 4w disk

i put 4 wheel disk on my cj7 a while back everything was fine using a 68 vette master cylinder no prop valve. couple months ago while i was wheelin i managed to rip an ear off one of the rear calipers so the mounting bolt snapped i guess i hit it off a rock and i had a real mess on my hands. i used vise grips to kink the rear rubber line going to that side and took the caliper off. i also noticed i had a cracked pad. i kept driving everything was fine.so the next day i got a new caliper and a new set of pads. bled the brakes and now i have a soft spongy pedal..well after bleeding them a dozen more times still nothing. after 3-4 pumps i get some pressure.. i got a new master cylinder bench bled it and still the same. what the hell could it be, i cant find any leaks its a new master cyinder, new caliper...these are my questions. will putting a new set of pads on one side and not the other have any kind of effect on the brakes? i know most people change them at the same time. and when i do bleed the brakes in the rear i can get a good stream out of the bleeder on the side i changed the other side only dibbles out when i crack the bleeder. im doing the old two person bleeding method..any info would help im starting to get pissed time for a break..thanks
jeepfreek383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20092
you need a power bleeder. look up motive products, they sell a nice unit the clamps onto the master cylinder. You put fluid in the power bleeder reservior, pressurize it and then just walk around and crack each bleeder screw. In about 10 minutes, all the air will be forced out by the continuous flow of fluid. Air bubbles don't have the chance to float back up to the high spots when you are pumping the pedal.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Figure out why there is only a dribble out of the other side. Take the bleeder screw out and see if it is plugged. You could also have a problem with one of your hoses internally. You can bleed at each fitting starting at the caliper and working up the line and see where you get pressure and flow back to find a restriction.
Travis..
Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18561
i took the one bleeder out and ran some air through it seemed okay but till only trickled out..tomorrow i will try to pinch off one rear line at a time and see if the pedal gets any better if not i will look into that power bleeder.. can having new pads on one side and older ones on the other fawk shit up or no?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102628
i dont believe so as the callipers adjust to the pad...
Old 04-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18561
okay after playing around with the brakes for a while now i finally figured it out. when i did a trail fix a while back for my caliper. i used a c-clamp to pinch off one of my rear rubber lines. when i did that it must have caused an internal leak. because there was no fluid coming out but it was sucking air in from someplace on that line. now when i use a c-clamp to pinch the same line right after the reat t fitting i have a great pedal when i release that side i have shit. so i think i isolated my problem to a rear brake line