Pirate 4x4 banner

Driveshaft: Does it need to be longer

679 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cjarnesen 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey
I have a drive-shaft that im not sure about. Its a custom tom-woods rear CV shaft. I had a model 20 in my cj7 but i replaced it with a currie 9 inch. The shaft is designed for the 20. It fits on the 9 inch and goes down the road just fine- no vibs or anything. But it is MAXED out and has little room(if any) on the splines to stretch any longer. It was extremely hard to connect to the 9 inch from the t-case. Will this affect the 4 wheeling ability and will it tear off when rockcrawling? I am wondering if i have to lengthen it or not. Does the driveshaft need more length when the wheel is on a boulder or anything? Thanks

#2 ·
If its fully extended at ride height (which it sounds like it is), you're going to need to lengthen it. Your rear axle will droop off road and if the shaft is fully extended already then it will just pull apart when flexed, and then you will have a heavy, metal cylinder spinning around bashing things under your frame. Do it right and extend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.