Pirate 4x4 banner

engine swap into a tj ??

735 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shawn calvin 
#1 ·
i am going to swap a 5.3 vortec into my tj, would like to use the hole gm drive train. the 5.3 ,4l60e trans and the transfer case. but i dont see anyone useing the chevy transfercase. WHY NOT? it would save a lot of money in adapters and work. am i missing some thing here? let me know what you guys think?

thanks shawn

#3 ·
is that it? the ones in early 90's have the lever to select 4x4 . or why not use the push button one, just mount the switch in the jeep. also the gm is just as strong as the np231 maybe even better.

it would also be nice to not have to buy the adapter for $500.00 the have a shop charge yon to install the rear main shaft in the adapter. just looking how to save some cash on the swap.

thanks shawn

#4 ·
One reason is that it probably doesnt drop the drive shaft in the same place. I dont know which exact Tcase you are talking about and I am not that familiar with Chevy Tcases, so I cant say for sure.... but that would be my first bet.

If you are changing out the axles too, then there is no reason to worry about the Tcase, just throw it all underneath your frame and mount it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.