Pirate 4x4 banner

Lowering SOA CJ

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  fishotro 
#1 · (Edited)
I've never felt the urge to post up my build here, so I won't. But, I do need do need some pirate advice on how to get my rig a little bit lower.

I'm running RE 1.5 SOA 5 leafs up front, I moved the rear hanger forward 3".

Rears are XJ's with a CJ main cut down. I will be adding an anti-wrap bar.

All shackles are 5" center-to-center.

The rear looks easy, french hangers and go. The fronts have me thinking to hard and need some additional input.

The link below has picks of rig...

http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/my.4x4/vehicle.php?vid=141&id=392

#3 · (Edited)
Frenching the front would be cool, to french it right means frame re-enforcement and possible steering issues. I would have to re-do so much to make it work. But I will do it if I have the time to.

My original thought was to make some 3.5" or 4" shackles and see how it sits. If I had to I could move the front hangers forward for a better angle. The easiest way I see it is to make or heaven forbid "buy" some rear hangers with about a .25" clearance from the frame which may yield me 1.5 of suspension drop and run 4" shackles.

I may be over thinking the situation and may not have to change a thing, but hey, thats what critical thinking is all about.

Attachments

#5 ·
I've got the same problem with my flatfender. SOA and it's too tall. Dropping the ride height wouldn't be too big of an issue, but the high steering to framerail clearance is a concern of mine. If you lower yours, what are your plans to address that issue?

#7 · (Edited)
The high steer set-up has 5" until it hits the frame, any lower and something will have to be done.

This alone may force me to run it until a later time. It looks like a lot of work for an inch.

The shocks are Rancho 9012, set at 1. If I move the shackle hangers forward, we'll say an inch, I would have to run shorter shackles to stay at the same ride height, I think.

Running 4 leafs up front scares me.

I will be running 35" around town and the 37" for trails. The pics make it look fine, in reality, it looks tall.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.