Pirate 4x4 banner

Gas gauge issues....

723 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jbullfrog 
#1 ·
I've recently installed a fuel cell in my 97 TJ (RCI 2161), using my TJ pump. My jeep originaly had the 15 gal. tank, well i put my fuel pump from the old tank into the new cell.

Im dumb so i broke the main fuel supply fitting coming out of the top of the pump. When shopping for a new pump i found that the pump for the 19 gal tank was a lot cheaper than the pump for the 15 gal tank. I bought the 19 gal pump, saving a whole lot of hard earned cash. The two pumps seemed to be very similar except for the location of the sending unit for the gauge.

The new pump plugged right into the existing harness and works perfect, but my gauge will not read anything now, and my fuel light is not on so im guessing its not even sending power to the gauge.

What could be the difference between the two pumps that its not sending power to the gauge now. Is there a quick fix or am i gonna have to live with it?

#2 ·
did you modify the pump before you put it in the tank so it didnt fall apart? Stock TJ fuel pumps are spring loaded and pressed against the bottom of the stock tank to keep them together. With the RCI 2161A being all the stock tj pump just hangs there and it only takes a few hard bumpes for it to fall apart and screww everything up. I know because this happend to me, at first just the gauge stopped working then the rest fell apart and none of it worked. Might want to pull it out and modifiy it. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.