Pirate 4x4 banner

RE Springs

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ddestruel 
#1 ·
I have a '67 CJ-5 that I would like to put some Rubicon Express YJ springs on. I only run 33" tires on the jeep and only need the clearance for them. The springs I have now I believe are 2.5" lift springs, but they are the narrow front and rear, not 2.5", I believe they are 1.75" wide. Anyway, they don't flex well, but I've heard good things about RE as a company and for their springs, and I'm considering switching to their 2.5" lift YJ springs and do the necessary mods to convert to the 2.5" wide springs. Anyway, my main question is what's the difference between their regular and their extreme duty 2.5" lift YJ springs? My CJ-5 is pretty light and has a 225 v-6 in it, and I'd like to put an SM 420 in it, and it has a Warn xd9000i on the front. Do I go xd in front and regular in back. Are they basically the same just rated differently for payload? Also noticed the regular ones are for front or back and the extreme duty ones are front and rear specific. Please help with your advice and knowledge. Thanks.

#3 ·
RE CJ springs are for 76-86. They are 2.5" wide front and rear.
RE YJ springs are slightly longer in the front than CJ springs, rears have 1" difference.

Regardless of what you use, any RE spring will be a "custom fit" for you. You will have to change shackle hangers and main eye mounts.

Standard springs and Extreme duty springs are very simular. Both have diamond cut ends and milliary rap. Spring rates will vary slightly.

#4 ·
yes, I know that the CJ springs are not for my application, and neither are the YJ springs, and that I'll have to do some fab work. New spring eye mounts and shackle mounts are easy to get and to install. I was assuming YJ springs because you never hear anyone upgrading to RE CJ springs, and the slightly longer YJ springs will flex slightly better and slightly help my current shackle angles as well if I mount all the new stuff in the same location as the current stuff. I'm basically just wondering if the extreme duty are heavier payload or what the differences are? I'd like a spring that isn't too stiff for the little CJ-5 but still provides the 2.5" lift and flexes as well as it can. Regular duty in the back? extreme duty rears in the front? I dunno. Anyone running these springs have any input please. Or even those with the 4.5" springs, let me know your thoughts, too.

#5 ·
RE spring rates (as close as I could find)

Extreme duty 2.5" CJ/YJ
RE1432 front spring 164
RE1433 rear spring 191

Standard 2.5" YJ
RE1430 ft/rr spring 226

Extreme duty 4.5" YJ
RE1454 front spring 216
RE1455 rear spring 224

Extreme duty 4.5" CJ
RE1450 front spring 227
RE1451 rear spring 242

Standard 4" YJ
RE1425 ft/rr spring 222

#7 ·
so the extreme duty springs are advertised as having the best flex as well as having the greatest ability to handle the extra weight of all your trail gear, but the extreme duty YJ 2.5" springs are rated at 165f/190r respectively and the standard YJ 2.5" springs are rated at 225f/r respectively? Seems wierd to me. So the extreme duty would theoretically flex more being lighter rate, but how are they going to have increased load carrying capacity? And what spring rate would you recommend I go with on my light CJ-5 with a front winch? extreme duty rears front and rear? Or since I have to take all my spring eye mounts and shackle mounts off and replace them with larger ones for the 2.5" springs, do I look at something like the XJ springs as an option instead for front and rear and just relocate the mounts to where they need to be? Would XJ rears flex better than YJ's?

#9 ·
What's the price generally run for 4 new leaves? I'm assuming since they are pretty custom shop, you can also specify eye to eye length and center pin location, etc, to get the maximum length spring you can fit under your rig for maximum flex. Any idea what 4 leaves would cost? Thanks guys.

#12 · (Edited)
Extreme duty 4.5" YJ

RE1455 rear spring 224 iirc the frame bushing to center pin center to center measurement was 23.5" 22.5" if you redrill second leaf and flip the rest around you get an additional inch offset

Extreme duty 4.5" CJ

RE1451 rear spring 242 iirc the frame bushing to center pin center to center measurement was 22.5"

I ran 1451's in the front of my cj and the 1455's and the rig was about perfectly level with a Ramsey front winch, 401, NV4500 and D300 it handled the weight well and wheeled well. what i did note was the 1451's up front required moving the steering box forward.

Next time i will probably use the 1455's for a front stretch and then try an xj spring setup for the rear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.