Pirate 4x4 banner

Noob....started building a new XJ and need suggestions

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  xjtony 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, yes, i am a noob to off roading...so be gentle...

I just got back from iraq and did a bit of off roading over there...ok, a lot. I decided that its something i want to get into, especially since i used to go shooting on ranches back in texas and got stuck in the mud many times with my POS 2WD sport trac....

so i bought this:

1999 XJ 4x4 2dr, 86K miles
4.5" lift
stock 32's
K&N intake
Jet performance chip
yakima rack
brush guard, fog lights
Warn rear bumper/tire carrier

No i realize virtually none of this improves my off road performance, so thats why i came here. any thoughts on what i should do next with the suspension/drivetrain/wheels would be much appreciated. I had to put 1.25" spacers on my wheels because they were scraping the frame when i did 90 degree turns, any thoughts on if this is a bad idea or not?

I plan on hitting some of the military training area trails, so i will doing mud almost exclusively, not much rock crawling if at all.

and for the help i offer you this....pics of my current off roading experiences...im a gunner so i get to ride on top for all of this....:eek:

NTC california

Ft Knox KY

baghdad, iraq

and finally out of the 3 vehicles i was assigned to in iraq, this was probably my favorite....although the absolute worst ride off road...

See less See more
#2 ·
upgrades

the next things i would be looking at would be to add a locker to both differentials. also by the look of your tires i would go with a more aggressive tread if you are going to go in mostly mud. those two things would make the biggest difference for off road capability in mud.

#4 ·
never thought about the brush guard, you are right....also im looking for lockers as we speak and am now thinking of upping my tires to 33's with a more aggressive thread pattern....thanks guys!

as far as the international mrap...its awesome, as long as you dont mind feeling like a rock in a tumbler when you ride in it. i am a gunner, so i got beat to hell up there, at least in the back you can strap yourself in. it has 10" lifting blocks and you feel everything through them.

the front rides and looks like a luxury truck, its super easy to drive. we had guys fighting over who would get to drive that day. I loved finally having space and good A/C, after living out of a humvee for the six months before we got that.

They will save your life too, ive been in several blasts with humvees and was really rocked a couple times, had to go catch a medevac bird to the hospital for one. then even if you walk your vehicle is destroyed, where the mrap will still make it home and live to fight another day.

Its fast as hell for a military vehicle too, accelerates really well.

#7 ·
Gears, lunchbox lockers, ditch the brushguard and grab a stronger front bumper with tow points.

What rear axle do you have? If you have the 29 spline 8.25 I would ditch it and get a 8.8 before you regear, (if you are going to regear) because the 8.25 has a limited amount of aftermarket products including gears and lockers.

A ford 8.8 will give you more options and be stronger.

-Alex

#10 ·
first of all thank you for protecting our country dude.

I don't like wheel spacers because I've heard that they put more leverage on the wheel bearing and cause them to wear out faster. I don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense to me. and the bumpers just get in the way. I don't even have them on my cherokee, but I live in wyoming....where nobody really cares what I do...because there is like 2 other people that live here :D

#11 ·
...any thoughts on what i should do next with the suspension/drivetrain/wheels would be much appreciated. I had to put 1.25" spacers on my wheels because they were scraping the frame when i did 90 degree turns, any thoughts on if this is a bad idea or not?

IMHO:

Offroad capability will be improved most by locking diffs and better tires.

If you have ABS your rear axle should be a Dana 35, don't spend any money on it. Swap it for an XJ D44 or an XJ Chrysler 8.25. The 8.25 is fine up to 35 inch tires.

If you don't have ABS, your rear axle should be a Chrysler 8.25, with 29 spline shafts. Install a Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker in it.

Install an Aussie or No-slip lunch box in the front Dana 30

33" inch mud tires or your coice.

If you want to ditch spacers you can run a wheel with less backspacing, 3.75 should be good.

At some point you should consider upgrading axle shafts.

Drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.