Pirate 4x4 banner

Picked up a 1999 Grand for $1500

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kenheehn3 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 1999 WJ for 1500. I'm going to do a mild build with a 2.5" OME HD suspension to start with. I'd like to trim the fenders and run 285/75/16s.

Couple questions though. Both front CV style axle shafts are toast in the Dana 30. Can I convert it to U-joint style axleshafts? Seems pointless to put in another set of CV shafts.

Regards,
PDUB

#4 ·
Well I found a kit at Iron Rock that converts to chromoly front shafts with ujoints. However for the price of 12 Napa CV shafts I can get one of those kits ($800). So I'm going to pick up the Napa replacements and get a couple spares.

Anyone know the common trimming points needed on the WJ when fitting larger tires? I'm searching, but can't seem to come up with too much.

Thanks again,
Abrams

#5 ·
Fenders...like everything else. Mainly the front fender lips and the front side of the rear tire well. And the bottom lips of both front and rear bumpers.

Or...mount your tires, flex and trim accordingly.

#8 ·
Yeah, It's still a 30. From what I've read over on the XJ and Grand websites it seems for some reason the inner shafts are 1/4" too long. That seems to be the consensus anyway. The Napa shafts come with a lifetime warranty... I wonder if they'll honor it should I blow a shaft.

For the price I paid, I feel rather comfortable wheeling this thing pretty hard. I've never had any kind of Jeep before, so I'll fix things as stuff breaks.

I was looking at fender trimming last night and I think I'll be fine with the 285s. I do have a set of 35s and a set of 37s that I would love to fit on this thing. Pretty sure I'd need to trim the fenders damn near off, and then the axle would explode anyway.

Regards,
Abrams

#10 ·
Hey Kenny. You should've seen the front axle after I got it all apart. It's a wonder Randy didn't die. Both Unit bearings shot, both axleshafts broke, the driver side rotor fell apart yesterday... Anyway, all the parts should be in by Thursday and on Friday.

You still gonna do your lift this weekend?

-Brandon

#11 ·
Yeah saturday after i am done at work around 2pm we can head to my dad's garage. Well the rotor didn't look good in the first place, and Randy must have had god on his side haha the only reason it stayed in one peice was because everything was rusted and corroded together.
I'll call you thursday or sometime.
~Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.