Pirate 4x4 banner

D35 how to tell a c-clip from a non

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  LowDown 
#1 · (Edited)
D35 how to tell a c-clip carrier from a non

Just got me my first 1993 jeep wrangler last friday. Had a busted ez locker and carrier in the rear end. It's got the D35 c-clip axle in the rear.

My question would be, does the non c-clip carriers have a drift pin holding the cross pin in and the c-clip version have a bolt holding the cross pin in?

would that be a correct assumption. the carrier I have has a drift pin holding the cross pin in. I think i got screwed.

#5 ·
Everything I've read so far says to remove the bolt to get the cross pin out to remove the clips. Thats why I was assuming this was a non c-clip carrier.

I can see there are punch marks holding the drift pin in. Can one just drill. those out and then thread the hole to put a bolt in, or how do most people do it?

I dont intend to spend a whole lot of money on it. I would like to upgrade to the rubicon D44 with e-locker later down the road. I would just like to get it back on the road and back up in the hills fishing.

88 and 89 did have a non c-clip axle. How does one tell if the spiders are for c-clip or not?

#8 · (Edited)
maybe i should go about asking, is there a difference between the c-clip spiders and the non c-clip spiders?

the guy i bought it from E-mailed me back last night and let me know the carrier was out of a 89 xj, and it's a non c-clip axle.

#9 ·
No, I put the spyder gears from my 90 yj D35C into a guys 88 or 89 non c clip axle after he grenaded his. He is still running around on it so I assume it is fine. BTW my 90 had a bolt his had a roll pin.

#12 ·
well, i guess i'll be tearing out one said boat anchor tonight. I assumed there would be a difference between the c-clip spiders and non clip spiders.

#17 ·
Not sure if I can add anything constructive here, but a c-clip style spider (drive) gear will have a machined area that the clip rides in. That's what keeps it in place. Also, a c-clip 35 will have a "c" cast into the axle housing's center section, a non c-clip axle will not.

#18 ·
Also, a c-clip 35 will have a "c" cast into the axle housing's center section, a non c-clip axle will not.
I don't know everything, but I'm pretty sure that "C" means "Custom". Dana would send the axles without gears to chrysler and then chrysler would set them up with what they needed.

After putting the axle shaft in the carrier yesterday I did notice there would need to be some degree of machining to get the clips into the side gears. I think I have a much better understanding about what i am looking for.

#19 ·
You may be right, but my old TJ had a "C" cast into the 35, and it was just plain old 3.07 gears :(

I haven't really paid *very close* attention to them, but the way I described above seemed to be the norm for me

#20 ·
Everythings up and running! Thanks for all the help. I now know the difference between the Non clip and clip carriers and what to look for. Quite a difference between the spider gears!

#21 · (Edited)
I'm working on a '91 YJ with a c clip rear. What size is the 12 pt bolt holding the center pin in the carrier? I've heard it's a 1/4" but want to be sure since I have to but a socket or wrench to remove it.
EDIT - Definately 1/4." Thanks PBB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.