Pirate 4x4 banner

AMC20 axle locker intstall problem

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  njjeep 
#1 ·
i went to put new alloy axle one piece axles along with an aussie locker in my amc20. i installed the locker first which went in fine than i put in the driver side axle and it went in fine also. it took a couple good hits with a hammer to get it to fully seat. when i went to put in the driver side it would not go in at all. so i took the locker apart and pulled the axles out again. the side gears are really tight going over the splines i cant even get the side gear on over the passenger side (even after hitting it with a hammer) axle but the stock spider gears slide right on. any suggestions or comments appreciated.

#5 ·
You should definitely not need a hammer. Call the vendor, sounds screwed up to me. The new splines will be tighter but not that tight. Slide your old shaft in to the locker and see if it fits the splines.

#9 ·
i did some tests today.
the original spider gears slide on the old axles and the new alloy axles with no effort.
the Aussie locker side gears slide on the old axles fine but they do not want to slide over the splines of the new axles even when hitting them on with a wooden block.

so now i am really confused

#12 ·
doesnt the locker part of the aussie break in not the splines that accept the axles.

also my brake backing plates are now pressed on my new axles and i would have to buy new bearings for the 2 piece axles which i dont want to do.

my friend suggested putting the axles in a deep freezer overnight and trying to put them in the morning

#18 ·
a

The problem is that these Moser aftermarket axles have a slightly different ramp on the axle spline than the OEM axle design and since the Aussie Locker is a precision locker and designed around the tolerances of an OEM axle, the Moser is incompatible with the locker. In the past we have seen communications from Moser indicating they had a manufacturing issue at some point with AMC20 axles, but we are not suggesting that this is what is going on here as that would be up Moser to confirm or refute. But the Aussie Locker is within spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.