Pirate 4x4 banner

What kind of locker should I go with?

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  matts88yj 
#1 ·
Picked up some Dana 60 off a Ford 350 for my 91 YJ.
Not sure what kind of locker to install in the front?
The rear has a Stock LDS for now.
Money is not a problem...I have saved up for this

I do have an onboard air compressor that's has taken the place of the air conditioner with a tank in the rear bumper.

I'm looking for reliability.
OX?
ARB?
Electric?
What do you have and do you like?
Thanks
Jeepguy

#2 · (Edited)
If you want the best, either a full detroit or an ARB. Final decision would be based on wether or not you have a twin stick, and how much snowy road driving your rig sees. I have 2 detroits, a twin stick, and iroks, usually 2 hi is more then fine to get me around in snow. I just dis-engauge the front axle when i have to make a tight turn on trails etc. Good Luck

#19 ·
Honestly I would avoid the ARB like the HIV. I've had nothing but problems on the two in my jeep. Granted I didn't install them I bought the axles used from another guy that had them in there so I don't know for a fact that they were set up right. I've had the bolts that hold the locker together come out at least 3 times.....even after I tacked them in place. I've blown out seals (yes I'm using a 90 psi shutoff switch) numerous times. My rear doesn't like to engage or disengage correctly.......over all I'm just very unsatisfied w/ them. they were great for the first 2 trips I had them after that they have been shitty. And because of their failures my ring and pinion are both now fucked up.

I finally put an aussie in the front because I couldn't keep an ARB together.
Detroits blow you break a shaft and it explodes, simple, there is no support, they care nothing about the offroad community whatsoever or any customer of theirs.

ARB's seem to never work correctly leaky orings ect ect.

Ected are cool but they have had some problems with shafts not being spline far enough in and it tearing stuff up.

OX Lockers I think are the best locker on the market and if you got the coin, I would not hesitate. I have yet to hear a horror story about an ox. I could tell stories about the rest for the next few hours.
ok so my expirience with arb has been like this.... people that are not perfect at setting these up have problems. people thaT have done it right and took their time never have problems. i have 5 close friends that i wheel with all the time and 4 of them have had their arbs in for years and years never a leak or anything.

plus ox will be harder to mount the cable. if it gets snagged game over. if the arb air hose gets snagged kwik fix. which either way if done right it should never get snagged

#12 ·
Honestly I would avoid the ARB like the HIV. I've had nothing but problems on the two in my jeep. Granted I didn't install them I bought the axles used from another guy that had them in there so I don't know for a fact that they were set up right. I've had the bolts that hold the locker together come out at least 3 times.....even after I tacked them in place. I've blown out seals (yes I'm using a 90 psi shutoff switch) numerous times. My rear doesn't like to engage or disengage correctly.......over all I'm just very unsatisfied w/ them. they were great for the first 2 trips I had them after that they have been shitty. And because of their failures my ring and pinion are both now fucked up.

I finally put an aussie in the front because I couldn't keep an ARB together.

#13 ·
Detroits blow you break a shaft and it explodes, simple, there is no support, they care nothing about the offroad community whatsoever or any customer of theirs.

ARB's seem to never work correctly leaky orings ect ect.

Ected are cool but they have had some problems with shafts not being spline far enough in and it tearing stuff up.

OX Lockers I think are the best locker on the market and if you got the coin, I would not hesitate. I have yet to hear a horror story about an ox. I could tell stories about the rest for the next few hours.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I don't need to search I see alot of diffs, but reading those threads there is one hater that bashes in both threads, everyone else gave good reviews, except for cable stretching, carry a spare cable for cryin out load. Try breaking an ox locker, I have seen at least 8 broken detroits in my shop this year. Call Eaton and ask them to help you w/ your broken detroit...........see how well that works out. Something goes wrong w/ your OX call George at OX and see if he won't bend over backwards to help you out.

But everyone has an opinion, thats just mine.

#17 ·
b/c i usually sell them by recomendation most people buy detroits, lockrights, powertrax over the internet. Just b/c I don't sell as many of those as detroits does not make them inferior. I will get them up there soon enough, at least you can't accuse me of pimping my own shit since it not even listed.

#21 ·
There are plenty of ARB's out there with no problems they are a good product and they are pretty tough, my biggest thing is if you loose you air source for whatever reason you are open, wether in a competition or deep in the trail and it can ruin a trip.

I did not know there was so much bitterness/product loyalty. They all have there strengths and weaknesses. none of them are unstopable.

#22 ·
Def not trying to start a pissing match, just wanted to show everyone those threads in case there was anybody thinking that any locker is bullet proof. Will I run an OX ever? No but that is just MHO. I'm just speaking from my experiences with running my Detroit and I love it. Plain and simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.