Pirate 4x4 banner

Axle Question

855 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  YJPep 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Dana 60 front out of an 85' Ford. I am looking for a rear axle (Dana 60). What year and or make would be best. I am converting the twin piston caliper front to Chev single. Would a Dodge 02' Dana 60 work with stock Jeep TJ brake system or would any axle and another conversion to Chev single piston calipers be a better choice ?

I am keeping the 4L in it and 5 speed trans, looking to change out the tcase and run 513 or 538 gears with 39" tires.

GeneralGrimm

#2 ·
Pretty much any year D60 will work. There are various widths, so just get
one that's closest to what you want.

#4 ·
i have a cj7 with dana 44's front and rear. the front was built....the rear was not except a detroit and 4:56's. i have a crazy engine and wanted to go with bigger axles to avoid a break. i looked up 60's and 14 bolts, but wanted to keep my 5 lug, 15 inch rims. nearly all one ton axles are 8 lug, EXCEPT for early 70's ford rear 60's with stock 5x5.5 and hubs that will sneak in the 15's. mine came stock with 30 spline (good enough for now) and was the correct width for my full width 7. dont know if this lug pattern is an issue for you, but someone helped me out with this info.

#5 ·
I put a 1979 F250 rear Dana 60 under my YJ.

I used a disk brake kit from rock hard parts on ebay. The kit was very complete.

You should be able to pick up a 1970's ford rear 30 spline Dana 60 for around $100.

It matches up with a 1980's front Dana 60 pretty well. I think its a couple inches narrower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.