Pirate 4x4 banner

one front tire leans in as if off camber

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chris93263 
#1 ·
my 89 xj's driver's side front tire leins in as if it is off camber. the other side seems fine. the jeep also leans low on that corner too. i think i may have a weak spring up front. i took the jeep to carroll's tire for an alignment, and they said that i need a camber kit and ball joints. i don't understand how it could be off camber on one side and not the other. i'm not even sure if there is a camber kit for a straight axle. i could not even find a camber kit online for this jeep. please advise.

#3 · (Edited)
What they mean is The ball joint on that side is worn out.

jack up the jeep and grab the tire. wiggle it as hard as you can. If you feel play, your ball joint is worn out.

Camber is not really adjustable, but caster is. They probably want to lengthen your CAs. Its pretty easy to do by yourself.

They look like this

and can be found by searching "jeep wrangler cam bolt"

#4 · (Edited)
Those Dana 30's are known for bending the knuckles when they're abused. I just took one out of mine that was like that. If your balljoints & unit bearing check out as good, I'll bet money the knuckle is bent.

Edit: XJ's use shims behind the lower control arm frameside end to adjust caster. But like was said, camber isn't adjustable in the traditional sense. A "camber kit" is just an offset balljoint that will allow them to adjust the camber back out to original. Not the ideal way to fix the problem, but it does work.

#7 ·
i finally got it up in the air on sunday to change the front springs and inspect the axle. The front was a little lower than the front, so i pulled the 3" lift springs and 1" spacer and installed some 4.5" lift springs to level it out. i tried to shake the tire and it was pretty sturdy. I think my driver's knuckle is bent. I have a spare d30, but i think that one is bent too because the guy who i bought it from said it wore out one of his front tires too.

what is the best thing to do? should I just replace the knuckle? is there anything I can do to keep the knuckle from bending again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.