Pirate 4x4 banner

'99 TJ Hubs and Rotors

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg_Volkman 
#1 ·
According to Quadratec there are two dana 30 hub assemblies, one for cast rotors and one for composite rotors, and they changed from composite to cast in mid '99.

I have a '99 TJ and I'm the second owner so I don't know when in '99 it was made.

How do I know which hubs fit my jeep, is there a way for me to find out when in '99 my jeep was made?

How can I tell the difference between cast and composite rotors?

Does anyone know the actual difference between the two hub assemblies?

If I don't get a good answer here I'll take my VIN to the nearest jeep dealer and see what they tell me.

Mid '99 - '06 Hub:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52417_05.htm

'90 - Early '99 Hub:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52417_04.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been looking into this same thing. From what I have found, the composite rotors look very different from the standard cast rotors. That being said, I have not been able to find any pictures of specifically Jeep rotors of the two types to compare. If you find any information that could help me with the same problem please post up.

#3 ·
There are two different sizes of rotors and unit bearings. You have to get the right size rotors to match your unit bearing. If you get the wrong size it will fit but the brakes will lock up. Best thing to do is if you need rotors take one off and take it to the parts store. There's a difference of like 1/16" in the hat distance or something like that. Either size of unit bearings and rotors will fit - they just have to be matched.
This is a pretty common problem. The parts stores seem to sell the wrong size rotors to a lot of people. They do their brake job and the brakes lock up.
Jim

#4 ·
It seems like the solid cast rotors would be better than the composite rotors. Maybe I should just buy new rotors and unit bearings at the same time and get the solid cast rotors. Are the calipers the same for both setups??

#7 ·
I just got a unit bearing for cast rotors. The offset, from rotor mounting surface to knuckle mounting surface is between 1 15/16" and 2" by my tape measure. based on these picture from another forum, the offset for the hat on cast rotors is larger but i don't have one here to measure.

I suck at posting pictures. cast rotors have a sharp edge around the hat/wheel mounting surface, and composite rotors have a round/radius edge around the hat.

Apparently I have cast rotors. Stupid as I am, I just ordered unit bearings from quadratec for $140 a piece, has anyone priced unit bearings at the jeep dealer? I'm wondering if it would have been better and/or cheaper to get factory jeep bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.