Pirate 4x4 banner

Jeep TJ Axles

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Brady I 
#1 ·
I was recently told by a friend that the Jeep Dana 44's were not "true" 44's. I was wondering if this was the case? If it is I would like some documentation or at least a web page to confirm. Also, I was looking to do a manual locking hub conversion to save on gas and was curious if there was a more cost effective way to do the conversion. (the kit cost 1500 and the local shop wants 300 for install) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Depends on which axle you are talking about. The rear D44 is a real D44. The front D44's in Rubicon TJ's are nothing more than D44 center sections with D30 outers. I'm guessing that you could probably talk to the dealership and get some part numbers to confirm this. As for a cost effective way to do a manual hub conversion, check out the D30 hybrid under the tech section. While it is cost effective, it is labor intensive and requires a bit of skill.

hick

#4 ·
I was recently told by a friend that the Jeep Dana 44's were not "true" 44's. I was wondering if this was the case?
Depends on your defintion of a 'true' d44. The jeep 44s have the same dana 44 pumpkin as any other d44, which I believe is how the manufacturer designates thier axles. So if you identify axles by the center chunk, which is how dana/spicer does it, they are 'true' d44s.

Now, everything outside the pumpkin is going to be different for just about any version of a dana 44. The late model jeep versions just so happen to share a bunch of parts and dimensions with the d30/35's found in the lower model wranglers. They have the same thin-walled axle tubes, u-joints, outer axle shafts, unit bearings, brakes, knuckles, ball joints, etc. That's why some refer to them as not a 'true' d44, or as a d30/44 hybrid axle.

#5 ·
The amount you will save in gas, If any, will not come close to the cost of the Warn Hub conversion.

That said, it is a great mod for other reasons. I'm pushing the limits of my axles, and the hubs are the designed weak link. It is a helluva lot easier to sway out a hub that fix a broken shaft, etc. It also allows you to save wear on the front driveshaft and axle parts. But, it didn't change my MPG at all.

HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.