Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ Renix system need help

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Comanche Devil 
#1 · (Edited)
I have issues. NEED HELP
The Cherokee works like a dog. It idles OK but upon tip in throttle it skips badly and backfires through the exhaust. Full acceleration it revs OK as well. Its a renix system and I changed a whole bunch of stuff to eliminate components. The stuff I changed are throttle body, cause the tips shows a part throttle at 0.27v. Intake air temp, wire broken. Crank sensor, watching it with lab scope it spikes at different times (and not a reference spot). Ignition coil/module, cause I had one so I used it. O2 sensor cause it was dead. Swapped computer and still no change. Fuel pressure is 30 psi Idle and it still acts up with regulator unplugged and 40 psi. Besides the Skip is too fast for fuel so thats why I'm concentrating on fire. At idle the spark will jump an Inch with blue spark, when its backfiring and running rough the spark will hardly jump 1/8 - 1/4 Inch this I think is not normal and might be a problem ? and its the same with the other swapped coil/module. plugs are new. Any suggestions and help is needed as for all this work done so far is for nothing.

#7 ·
Well, that ain't the normal way to fix it, but whatevah, it werks (I guess). Hope you're not just masking a problem though....

Was sounding like vacuum leak or the MAP sensor line popping off to me.

#10 ·
I never said the dist was out a tooth. I said it was out of time. All I did was advance it approx .040. This actually changed the fuel delivery, which fixed the problem. Ignition timing is actually controlled by the PCM via the crank sensor. There is a tech bulliton from Chrysler that explanes the process of removing the tabs of the dist and advancing the dist to correct the problem. Oh the problem is the balancer outer ring actually turns a bit so when you put the timing marks on #1 cyl it actully not at TDC therefor the dist needs to be turned. And that is the way to fix the problem. And due to the AITN, Carquest Identafix websites ther is alot of Tecnitions doing this very same repair/fix.

Thank you :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.