Pirate 4x4 banner

can i run a spool in a front axle?

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  88burban 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yes. They make it much harder to turn the front wheels. Often a ram set-up is needed if you have really big tires. Builds heat in P/S system. It helps to have a twin-stick TC or some other way to easily/quickly disconnect the front axle drive to allow you to turn a little sharper. But yes, you can run a spool, mini-spool or weld the front. Everything has advantages & disadvantages though.

#9 ·
it doesnt make it MUCH harder to turn the front wheels, if anything it is only moderately more difficult, and that was with 38.5 boggers with stock XJ steering crap.

a twin stick set up will help none, zero zip zilch nada with making you turn sharper, the reason you cant turn as sharp as with an open diff is because the tires want to spin at different speeds to follow different sized radius. with a spool they turn same speed all the time, so one tire is always either being pushed or dragged through the turn.

I run a spool in the front of my rig. i dont care for it much any more... i used to think it was the cats meow, but now i realize that the spool is the reason most of my trail failures have occurred.

every time you turn, the front axle shafts bind up something awful. the binding makes the u joints try to exit the axle shafts any way they can.
and when they do it sucks...\

Yes, you can run a spool up front.

it isnt the best option, but it works, and is cheap.

#3 ·
Sure you can. And since your building a buggy and I am sure your going to be running a full hydro you will be ok. Some are going to say no but there are lots of guys who run a spool up front. Whos chassis are you using or are you building your own?

#7 ·
I run my full bodied TJ with fullwidth 60's and 42 iroks. I am welded up front (******* spool)! I ran it with stock steering for awhile, it was tolerable but not the best. I added a hydro assist and I love it. I will never pay for another locker again. Well, unless you count buying a 2 pound roll of wire!:flipoff2:

#8 ·
blah blah blah

the first thing i've always done to every rig i've ever owned is weld up both axles.

you have to have hubs in the front and stay on the dirt

you wont know the difference

since its a buggy you are surelly going with full hydro so you wont be able to even tell your locked in the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.