Pirate 4x4 banner

small chevy starter for cj

843 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepinwilson 
#1 ·
I need help finding a starter. I have an 82 Scrambler that originally had a 151 iron duke engine. The bellhousing bolts directly to my chevy 350 that has a 153 tooth flywheel. All matched up great until I got to the starter. My chevy block only has 2 holes for a starter (not 3) and they are the diagonal pattern. I can only find a starter with the diaganol pattern for a 168 tooth flywheel. All gm starters for 153 tooth that I have found have the straight across pattern. Has someone else ran into this problem? My next step would be to try to drill and tap the block for the missing hole, something I didn't want to do.

#3 ·
you should be able to buy a hi torque mini starter in any bolt pattern and in either 153 or 168, try summit or jegs.... Mid 90's camaro's have a nice mini hi torque starter but I cannot remember if they have the cross bolt pattern, but I do know it is for 153 tooth flywheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.