Pirate 4x4 banner

np 205 vs Dana 300

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kpj 
#1 ·
Hi,
I got a stock CJ 8 with a dana 300 ( no kidding) and I am plaining on pulling the 258 w/ cali emissions and the sr4 tranny. I have a 87 Chevy 305 and sm465 to install in their place. My question is to I go all Chevy and put in the np 205 or stay with the 300? And if I put in the 205 will I have to change drive shafts to fit with different case dimensions? Help please.

Matt

#2 ·
I can understand keeping the cost down but if you are gonna go V8 why a 305, not much of an upgrade from a 258 if you look at the numbers? To answer your question tho, they are both good T-cases, strong as hell and very reliable. You will have to adapt the Dana 300 to the SM 465. Unless you were planning on going with a 4:1 kit in the Dana 300 i would probably just stick with the NP 205. Also your driveshafts will mostly likely (99%) need to be changed, most likely lenghthened in the rear and shortened in the front.

#4 ·
I like the idea of putting in the 205. Im running a Ford 205 behind a T18 and its indestructable. The low range isnt as good as the 300 but Lo-Max makes a upgrade for the Chevy 205 if you decide you want to upgrade. Obviously there are low range kits for the 300 as well. Im sure there are others on here who have it, but I know that my YJ frame has only an inch or two between the side of the case and the frame rail. Im just wondering if you will have clearance issues with the case being so big in a CJ frame.

#6 ·
How heavy do you want your Scrambler? The NP205 weighs in around 180lbs (if not more), if I remember correctly, where the D300 weighs in around 85lbs. Also, the gearing for the 205 is 1.96:1, 2.62:1 for the D300. The Lomax gears for the 205 (it replaces the case as well) are around $1300 to get it to 3:1, compared to around $550 for the D300 and going to 4:1. The d300 will handle the power of the 305, and of course the np205 will laugh at it. Personally, I would probably spend the $$$ on the adapter and suck it up and go with the D300. But, you really can't go wrong with either option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.