Pirate 4x4 banner

YJ Frame question

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Xmidnite_riderx 
#1 ·
ok I just bought my first Jeep, its in piecies from the all knowing 21 year old rich kid that tried to save money and do his own lift kit with 2x2 square tubing, needless to say after 3 years of sitting in the shop i traded for it and the frame is wasted where the PO blew holes in the frame trying to weld his high tech lift kit on it, the body is striaght and untouched except for some minor rear fender trimming, my question is, is there a differenance in the frames on the YJ series, i found a complete frame (rolling on axles and wheels) for pretty cheap, just wanted to make sure it work with everything from 95 before i drive to get it so i dont waste my time or money

Thanks for the help

Rider

#5 · (Edited)
jeep frame

the frame i found is a 93 model and is complete from the top frame rail down, my 95 that i bought has had major cutting and welding done to it from the steering gear being droped 4 inches to the spring hangers being droped also.

as far as engine mounts go i still havent decided if i want to stay stock or put a small block chevy or ford in it, i have a NV435 and 205 combo ready to go it for a ford, and i know novac has motor mount kits fairly cheap.

thanks for the replys, gonna go get the frame saterday

Rider

#7 ·
One other difference over the years that I have not confirmed is that on the older frames, first couple YJ years, the steering box blind nuts in the frame were supposedly for smaller size bolts than the later years. When I did my '93 frame last fall, the used one I got happened to have the correct size for me. I have never actually seen this smaller size in a frame, but it's worth keeping in mind.

#10 ·
i think it's only a matter of time before the p.o.'s work will break. it appears to have no type of support. looks like you can cut and grind his work off. then use the stock mounts with some urathane bushings and should be good to go. if you wanted a lift, soa is a good option seeing how the axles are already off. i'm iin the middle of putting one on my 87 yj.

#13 ·
What a frelling cob job the PO did. Grind that crap off and use it. Notice the dolt also 'lowered' the upper shock mounts too rather than buying the more desirable longer shocks. Some people should never own a welder.

#14 ·
Wrangler frame

to speed the build up i am gonna use the new frame and swap everything over to it and stick the 302 it the right way along with the 435 and 205, already got the poly bushings on order and the motor mount kit, should be in this week, after installing the bushings and mounts the rest should be easy, then i will repair the frame that is all jacked up and either look for another tub for it or sale it, hadnt thought to far on that yet.

Rider

#15 · (Edited)
If you already have the 2nd frame, what you said is best. I got my new frame and appreciated that I had a month with it to get everyhting cleaned up, new rear shock mounts fabbed, motor mounts set right, etc., before installing. In your case, clean and sell the old one. I just hit mine with a sawzall and took it to the steel scrap yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.