Pirate 4x4 banner

need some wiring/alternator help

636 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dan58 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me on my wiring/alternator issues. I'm now running a Taurus fan, and it's really draining the battery when running it on high. I assume the current alternator just isn't cutting it anymore. With the winch going, it's only a matter of time until I see jumper cables.
My Jeep has a healthy 360 of early 70s vintage. It's strictly an offroad machine. It has no interior at all (only temp, oil pressure, oil temp gauges) and only headlights. It doesn't have a radio (although I really would like one) to draw juice. Even with running so little, it still drains the battery.

Don't ask my how or why, but mine is set up halfassed from the previous owner. It has one large red wire to the battery, one black wire that was hanging (I think it was for a dash light?), and one small red one that ALSO goes to the battery. Neutral I don't get it. I'd think that small red one should go to a switched source, right? There is NO regulator that I can find. Somehow or another, the battery always has a charge, so it doesn't drain it. But, that was before the Taurus fan.

I'd really like to go to a GM 1-wire setup with an internal regulator. I would upgrade to the 94amp version available from AA or AZ, but I don't have a regulator anyway. I think the CS-130 would fit, but it seems that everyone runs the CS-144.
It looks as though the GM CS-144 would work. Will it work with a V-belt pulley though?

http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

The first task though is to properly ID the current alternator. I don't have the Jeep here at home with me, so I can't take any more pics for a few days.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.