Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ What axles come stock?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  hitech_hick 
#1 ·
I found an abandoned Jeep cherokee thats been abandoned for a very long time. I stopped and loocked under it and I noticed the front has a straight axle. Both front and back have disk brakes. Its a 4 door. Painted grill with black bumpers. Stock fender flares are painted same color as the truck. Has trans and 4wd shifter on the floor. Anyone know what year Im talking about? If so, Are these or atleast the front axle worth taking?(D44?)
If you need more details, What should I look for to determine year?

#2 · (Edited)
Well for starters, ALL Jeep Cherokees had straight axles. SO...doesn't narrow it down much. How about a picture?

#4 ·
No. FSJ (Full Size Jeep) Cherokee's had a d44 front, but nothing from 1986 (I think that was the first year of the XJ) till 2001 had a d44 front

#6 ·
D35 could be the rear axle, but the front is most likely a D30. D35 is a waste of money, but neither axle is a very good choice to swap into anything. A cheap set of D44's can be had for almost nothing these days.

#10 ·
Ok, I didnt get a chance to stop and take a picture or write down the VIN yet. But if you had free reign to it, Would you consider it for anything? Would the straight 6 be a good swap into my Bronco II? Can the automatic trans take abuse? T-case? Anything?

#11 ·
What you're talking about sounds like a Limited (or Classic?) with the stock painted flares/grille, so I'm going to go ahead and guess 1991-1996. Yes, the 4.0 L will kick the shit out of the 2.8 L, my buddy actually just did this conversion and he hasn't looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.