Pirate 4x4 banner

Another dash cluster question

869 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Brandon Rhoads 
#1 ·
I searched and found little info on converting the factory cluster to using auto meter guages. When I googled it I also found little info. I wanna get my auto meter guages in the place of the factory guages. I believe the factory works by sending pulses?? Not sure. I E-mailed 12 volt guy and he had nothing so I figured I would see if anyone has done this yet. I have the 5.9 motor with the factory 5.9 computer. This would be going in my 97 tj

#2 · (Edited)
Do you have the service manual for your 5.9? That is the easiest way to get auto meter gauges to work in your dash. If the auto meter gauge doesn't come with a sender then your only option is to piggy back the harness. You will run all new wires to your dash. Each auto meter gauge will have specific instructions on how to wire them up.

Which gauges are you confused about?

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not really confused but I wanna know more befor I go tearing into this. I wanna be able to run the temp, oil pressure volt ect. but not sure if there was a way to get those to work inplace of the stock guages. I already have them hooked up but wanna put them inplace of the stocks. Also will they work propper?

#5 ·
I ran all the senders that came with my auto meter gauges. I just found a place for the sender to install and plugged it in. For instance, the water temp gauge comes with a thread in style sender. There was a perfect place for it on the side of my heads. Unscrew the bolt in the head and replaced it with the sender. Then run 1 wire from the sender to the gauge.

Same for the oil.

Same for the fuel level.

Same for the tranny temp.

Get the idea?? :D

The only gauge that is some what different is my volt gauge. You have to tap a 12v source. I have a fuse block that comes directly off the battery. I tapped the power connector at the fuse block and all is well. :)

I think where you are confused is the stock dash. You just need to get the stock cluster out of there and completely forget about it. You want to work only with your new motor and your new gauges.

#6 ·
ok. So the way I have them hooked up now just install it in where the cluster is. My next question is does yours throw a check engine code due to a non functioning guage. I know mine threw a code cause I had the temp probe where the factory goes. Same as oil pressure. A guy at the garage said sometimes if those aren't reading right it can cause the engine to run funny. True or not.

#7 ·
I am not running anything that has to do with the jeep PCM. I am running my LT1 PCM. It has all the factory senders still installed so they PCM gets all the values it needs. I have zero codes. If your PCM doesn't get the correct values then it will most times run below standard.

You need to find a different location over the factory sending spot to install your new senders. There are mulitple locations all over the motor for each specific gauge/sender. Be sure each factory sender is installed in the correct location and wired directly into the stock harness.

If you want to get the same values that your PCM sees via the stock sender you have to tap the wires after the PCM. Not before. This usually requires the factory service manual for the correct color code and pinout locations from the PCM. In that scenario you will need a specific gauge capable of reading the outputs from the PCM. That's why I always choose to go with the sender sent with the auto meter gauge.

#8 ·
Sounds good. I'll do what you did go in before the pcm and get the readings that way. I was thinking about trying to tap into the factory harness but this way is definitly easier and less complicated. Btw I dig your jeep. Alot of great info in your build..... Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.