Pirate 4x4 banner

Need help!!! T-case noise

741 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  plasticmanhey 
#1 ·
My NP231 t-case began whining while in 2wd, it's louder in 4wd. It increases with speed. Disconnected front driveshaft, it goes away. CV joint appears to be in good shape no slop. I used a stethoscope and thought I had it narrowed down to the front output shaft bearing. There was a very slight up & down movement to the front output shaft.

I ordered an overhaul kit (all new bearings & seals) and installed it today. The noise is still there.

What are the symptoms of a stretched chain or a bad planetary gear set? How do you check these items. Everything looked normal during install.

Thanks

#2 ·
It sounds like it is not the planetary gears, otherwise it would only make the noise in 4wd, unless I am missing something. My guess is loose or stretched chain, I only say that because it is probably the most, or one of the common problems with NP231. Do you have any buddys with a similar vehicle, you could try their front drive shaft, just to eliminate that as the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.