Pirate 4x4 banner

Hybrid hp Dana 44/30

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  kingpolaris 
#1 ·
I have a front hp 44 and I want to put stock 30 outers on it- its for a 04 unlimited. I was going to cut all the stock brackets minus one upper control arm and weld in onto the hp 44. Of course I will beef up and modify all brackets. My question is how much should I cut the 44 down to allow enough room for the 30 outers- I realize the obvious answer of the same as the 30. Second, what length axle shafts should I order for the correct fit. I want this mod to look as stock as possible- no jerry rigging. Has anyone done this. This is my first real forum question so go easy on me. Thanks, Jason.

#3 · (Edited)
IfCut off the Cs on the 44 and weld on Cs from a 87 up 30 or 44 . The late no lockout unit bearing knuckle can now be installed. If you need to make the axle shorter cut it to the length you want.Try to use stock shorter axles (Wagoneer) or you will have to get custom axles made. If the cs on your 04 will fit the 44 that yould be the way to go. If you go to WWW.77cj.littlekeylime.com there are charts that give the length of 44 axle shafts.

#5 ·
why do you want to run 30 outers? like cj style 30 outers with lockout hubs?

if your worried about bolt pattern, you can make it 5x5.5 with bronco/f150 hubs and shorten it to waggy width (for ease of axle shafts and good width) and then get wheel spacers / adapters for the rear to make it 5 on 5.5 and close to the same width.

i just dont see why you would go threw all the trouble of shortening a 44 just to put 30 outers on it.

#8 · (Edited)
If you dont have a 44 yet you might ck out the Mopar JK axle. They come with a locker, 4.10 gears, and are compleat wheel mt. to wheel mt. They are 1400.00$ at the door of your Jeep dealer. If you buld a 44 with lockers, gears, aloy shafts and new small parts you will have at least 2000.00$ invested.The JK axle is also high pinion.

#10 ·
I am pretty sure your 30 axle tube is going to be smaller O.D. than your 44. Ford HP44's came with 2.75 and 3" tubes. To make the Rubi C's fit your axle you would have to machine the C's to a larger diameter, no easy task. Do your homework before you start fawkin stuff up:flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.