Pirate 4x4 banner

Budget TJ Buggy Build......

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  OffRoad 
#1 ·
I had a previous build thread but when I rearranged my photobucket account all the pics went to hell and instead of spending hours rehosting them I figured I would slap the whole build into a post or two.

Back story:

I bought the jeep with a salvage title from a friend to keep from beating the hell out of my DD TJ while I was still paying on it. The jeep was wrecked in the rear end and I originally had plans of puttng a new tub on it before I changed my mind.

Here is one of the best pics I have before the buggying began:

At this point it sat as follows.

1997 TJ Sport 4.0 5-speed
Dana 30 w/lockright
Dana 35 w/softlocker
NP231 w/4:1 no SYE
4 inch ProComp springs and shocks
35 inch BFG Muds (not in picture)

Bought about $200 worth of 1.75 .120 HREW tubing and since my buddy had all the tools, mig, bender, notcher, etc. All the labor was free and I probably only spent about $300 total on the backhalf and cage. So before you ask why I'm running stock axles and suspension with a buggy it's because it was cheap......like me.

Future plans include two different ideas.

A. Lightweight with airshocks, built 44/9 and 40's
B. Heavier with airshocks tons and 42's

Time will tell when I get my lazy ass out of school.

On with the build.:

What started the build? Got bored and went outside with the sawsall one day and bam!

I actually bought the front down bars prebent to save time/sanity and got them very cheap since they builder wasn't building them anymore. I fitted them up at my house before hauling it to my buddys shop.

At the shop we busted out the plasma cutter and shortened some more then capped off the frame.

Built the first hoop. Keep in mind that I have no idea how the hell I want this to look, we just started adding tube and built as we went.

Side bars and down bars.

See less See more
#2 ·
More:

Me mig welding, scary shit. I got burnt as hell too.

Here you can see the "temp" track bar mount. One of these days it will get a real four link and I'll ditch the track bar.

Gas tank back in and running. I want a fuel cell, it's on the list. I needed it running for a trip so I took it home and got it painted up.

Made it to Trees Ranch in W.Tx and it did great. I never was scared to beat the hell out it, it just looked a little less dumb now.

#3 ·
A few months ago I decided to finally add some spreaders that I didn't have time to do a while back and while we were at it we added some front end/radiator protection.

Yes the front hoop is two pieces sleeved and welded together. I was too lazy to figure out the double bend.

Also wanted a little something for the spare to sit on and balance the rear out. Not for any structural significance just asthetics and spare tire holding.

Paint.

#4 ·
Since I live in SETX now there aren't a lot of rocks around. If I wan to wheel rocks I have to drive hours and hours. Spring Creek, the location of the WeRock finals last year is about 2 hours away and we went to play the other day. Unfortunately it rained about 4 inches the night before making the rock course all but impossible. Trail riding was........not really my thing.........I hate mud. Perhaps I'll make it back when it's dry.

Need a winch now..........and coil retainers.

#16 ·
all i saw here was a guy having a lot of fun with a cheap tj. looks good to me. i say don't put it on 40s. get some better 35s and maybe different axles. i think growing it up too big would cut inot the fun factor. it'll still look mean with some 35" boggers. i'd tell ya to have fun but it looks like you already have that part figured out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.