Pirate 4x4 banner

Alternate size fuel cell for TJ buggy.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepinTY 
#1 ·
I know the usual tank used in TJs is the RCI-2161A which is 30Lx12Hx9W. My TJ buggy has very limited space in the back that is currently being taken up by the original tank. I was interested in finding a slightly smaller and more compact tank and ran across this http://store.summitracing.com/partd...CI-2121A&N=700+400379+304364+115&autoview=sku

It is the same height but more squarish and more along the size I need. What I am wondering is, is there sufficient space to add the stock fuel pump? I am not familiar with fuel cells. I was wondering if the pump ring can be added where the filler neck is and a new filler can be welded to the side or something. Thanks for any help.

#5 ·
Hard to tell from the picture if the rings and pump would fit where they have the fuel fill or if they would fit on the other side of the fuel cell. But remember if you use the spot where the fill is now where are you going to fill it? Its aluminum so it could be a bitch to weld if you don't have the right stuff.

Not sure if you can but see what kind of tech drawings RCI has on thier website. Or call them. I can get you an OD on the rings if you need.

#6 ·
Yeah I mentioned in the OP about adding a filler neck to the other side. There are 100 aluminum welders in my town (boat repairers) so I don't think it would be a prob. I guess I'll check the tech sheets, I didn't even notice them on their website. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
on the rci 2161a the pump sits about 1 inch off the bottom of the tank. if you dont wanna alter the in tank pump, it will need to be within an inch or two of the height of the rci 2161a. otherwise run an inline pump like an airtex e2000(im pretty sure thats the number used) you need around a 40 psi pump i believe. if you go to an inline pump any cell will do really. if its much taller than the 2161a you will wanna extend the pick up to get near the bottom of the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.