Pirate 4x4 banner

4.0 cranks forever and then starts

621 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Warpig58 
#1 ·
Ive been told that the pick up on my 89 4.0 xj was going out does any one know how to tell for sure . What I have going on is when I first start the jeep it starts decent but after it comes up to temp it is a pain to get started it seams like it turns over for ever before it starts and sometime it sounds like it has flooded when it gets started

#2 ·
My cherokee did the same thing. It was a bad fuel pump. The check valve was messed up and it would let the fuel run back into the tank every time i shut it off.

#3 ·
Not sure if this applies to a 4.0 but on my GM TBI a bad fuel pump relay caused the same thing. On a GM the relay energizes the fuel pump for two seconds, then kills it. Once the engine starts the relay sees oil pressure and turns the pump back on. The two second timer in mine died and wouldn't turn the pump on until I cranked it over long enough for oil pressure to build. One way to check for this is to temporarily run a wire to the pump circuit on a momentary switch so you can pressurize the system as you start it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.