Tire Questions/Opinions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 100911
Tire Questions/Opinions

Hi all,

Before anyone starts flaming me for asking the proverbial "which tires are best" questions, please know that I've already done the searches and research, I am now soliciting opinions from people that own, have owned or have run certain tires.

I'm building a '97 TJ. It's stock righ now, but it will be lifted 4" and be running 33's. I have run Pro Comp X-terrains and BFG M/T's in the past, and am looking for a new or better set for my TJ. Ive' narrowed it down to;

Trxxus STS
A lot of guys in my club run this tire and they love it and never get hung up. At the same time, theses are all LJ's with long arms and fully locked. I have this notion that I may need a more aggressive tire to compensate.

Trxxus M/T's
A more aggressive tire, but I don't really know anyone who has ran these.

Cooper Discoverer STT
I like this tire and the price is right, but am not sure it's aggressive enough.

Pro-Comp X-terrain
I LOVED my X-terrains, but they seemed very soft. My second time in the rocks the sidebiters started chunking off.

BFG M/T's
I liked them better than I thought I would, but this seems to be the default Jeep tire. It's like it's the off-road tire for people who don't offroad.

Any other opinions would be most helpful, only as these are the few that I'm considering. The terrain we run is mostly desert, rocks, mountains, basic Southern California stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
91YJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 90393
what about the good all time favorite Goodyear MT/R?
rockrknockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 100911
I considered the MT/R's, but they're kinda pricey. We have a guy in our club that runs them, and he's always having to replace one due to the sidewalls or punctures.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 115187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91YJay View Post
I considered the MT/R's, but they're kinda pricey. We have a guy in our club that runs them, and he's always having to replace one due to the sidewalls or punctures.
X2 the sidewall punctures, My buddy ran a set he replaced two due to sidewall tear/cut (rocks)

I am running 35 inch Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on my 97 TJ. I love them this is my third set in 9 years. I am running Radials now, Ran Bias in the past, Their both nice tires, I got mine mounted for $200 a tire (East coast)

My Build - [B][URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782142"]Burrellsjeep Project: Eugene[/URL][/B]

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804177"]Heavily MOGified - Justin's Build
[/URL]

[B][URL="http://www.youtube.com/mburrell007"]My Videos[/URL][/B]
burrellsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80230
33x10.50 Boggers.

7/8" tread depth, that should make up for the guys that are long-armed and locked... Not too pricey either at 200 a pop.

If you drive it daily and need some mileage out of them, I say go with the XTerrains- as you know they get around excellent and I don't know how long you ran yours for, but I've got 40K on mine and I'm thinking I can get another 10....

Last edited by fordraceboy; 08-05-2008 at 04:53 PM.
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 83814
Streetability

How important is streetability? I ran into this same issue, and I just ended up buying some trail tires, so I run something mild but still capable like the BFG MT on the street and haul trail tires on a small and light trailer when I plan on doing big things.

When it comes down to it, there are no tires that excel off road and excel on road that I have heard of. Tires like the BFG muds, MT/R's, etc are the middle ground where they are good at either. Just not great. Eventually, the most traction off road will provided by a Krawler, Pitbull, Creepy Crawler, or similar aired down to 5 psi on beadlocks.

If you do not want to haul trail tires around separately, the Xterrains, MT/R's, or maybe Toyo MT's or Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains will probably do well. The sidewall weakness and less than extraordinary off road performance is a compromise that has to be made for streetability. If you have the wheels for it, I hear good things about the BFG KM2's, but can't offer personal experience.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 104646
caught mt MTR's on sale from the local Goodyear tire center 150 each for 35's
snookhansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 100911
Streetability is somewhat of an issue. When my club does "cruise" runs, we're basically driving it to where we wheel. It's not a daily driver, but will be on the freeway.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, keep it coming!