steering column (blinker release) adjustment - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2325
Unhappy steering column (blinker release) adjustment

I feel kinda stupid for asking but here goes...

I swapped in a waggy D44 up front and added bulletproof steering components (drag and tie). I have adjusted the drag link so that I get equal turning radius right and left.

I drive my YJ almost everyday on the street and since the new front axle, tie rod and drag-link, my steering column does not deactivate the blinker as it should any more. Near as I can tell, the steering column can only be attached to the steering rod one way (keyed) and the steering rod is also keyed to the steering box. I know I can take the steering wheel off and rotate it so it's lined up straight but that doesn't help with the blinker mechanism. It's really frustrating because when going straight, the mechanism is at the point where it's trying to disengage it so you have to hold the blinker arm so it will stay on...

Is there any way I can adjust this?

Thanks
Hesco CPS relo kit | '87 Grand Wag D44s F&R w/ARB @ 4.88 | TSM rear disc[/CENTER]
wldwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
AllUpInYourFace

Member # 72951
Sounds like you adjusted your new steering components straight when your steering wheel wasnt quite straight. Is your steering wheel correct when your wheels are pointed straight?
mudskipper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2325
when I first put it back together, I set the steering wheel in the center with the wheels straight BUT then I did not have equal right and left turning ability so I then put the pitman arm such that I got equal movement from center to left and center to right but ended up with the steering wheel way off...of course I can take the wheel off, rotate it and put it back on so that it "looks" right when going straight down the road but the "guts" of the steering column are still off, putting the blinker release cam mechanism in the wrong position to work properly...

if I could pull any one of the splined u-joint couplers apart, rotate the column to where it needed to be, then slip the coupler back together, I'd be down-town...but all the splined couplers appear to be keyed to go together only one way...
Hesco CPS relo kit | '87 Grand Wag D44s F&R w/ARB @ 4.88 | TSM rear disc[/CENTER]

Last edited by wldwilliam; 11-12-2008 at 09:41 PM.
wldwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.