HP d30 build up..what to do - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50476
Send a message via AIM to fearfact Send a message via Yahoo to fearfact
HP d30 build up..what to do

so i picked up a HP d30 out of an XJ this weekend using a credit to an ecology yard that was about to expire. my questions are how should i approach this axle..
my rig will not go over 35s, probably be on 34 LTBs , i will be running Aussies in the 30 and my 8.8, probably be at 410-456 gears (456 most likely) i have a 3spd auto. i do want to waste my $ but i also don't wanna baby it because i know its weak. i think i remember reading about scavenging parts off my current LP 30..
my ideas are to possibly run truss (opinions if worth it for my setup please), gears,locked, and upgrade shafts eventually, probably to 30 spline... am i missing anything or pissing in the wind at all here?
fearfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
What year did the donor 30 come from? Is it VAD?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 50476
mid 90's i think but no its no vaco'd
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103442
I beleive it 96'+ that will have the 297 joint opposed to the 260 in ealriers models. Can you tell what the joint is?
If its 297 I say carry a few shafts and joints and leave it alone (beside gears/locker). If its 260 joint....find a doner and swap for the bigger joint. I dont think dumping any more money into it is really worth it especially with XJ parts so cheap and readily available at the junk yards.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 50476
the parts aren't so easy to find here, and not so cheap..time is an issue to of going to and from a you pull it, and again this area is just over priced. i know it sounds lazy, stupid, a waste ect. but i want the added security of not having to frig with it once im running it.. ill carry the stock spare shafts, but idealy ill have upgraded and wont need them
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Ebay or craigslist some shafts and unit bearings. Maybe truss it.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfact View Post
the parts aren't so easy to find here, and not so cheap..time is an issue to of going to and from a you pull it, and again this area is just over priced. i know it sounds lazy, stupid, a waste ect. but i want the added security of not having to frig with it once im running it.. ill carry the stock spare shafts, but idealy ill have upgraded and wont need them
If you carry stock spare shafts then your only option is cromo 27 spliners.... and I wouldnt have the slightest clue were you can get em. Im sure you can....I just dont know. And even so, why no then just get some spare stockers for 1/2 the price.

Last edited by GreatWhiteXJ; 12-22-2008 at 11:23 PM.
GreatWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 87682
Warn inner shafts are strong but not cheep. Go with Spicer 760 U joints.
wranglerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Beginnings

Member # 99513
Its kinda ironic I have all the bling parts you want in my old HP30 sitten at my Father's house in New Mexico. Been trying to get rid of it, but no one wants it.

NEW BEGINNINGS:
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/971511-jealle-o-cigano.html
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
I picked up a HP30 myself a couple weekends ago. My plans are to regear, aussie-lock, replace the ball joints and u-joints w/ 760x, and do the WJ grand cherokee knuckle/brake swap. Here's a list I comprised of all the shit I'm planning/contemplating doing. You can pick and choose as you wish but for the price it's not a bad deal. Mine is a DD so I want it to stop quickly. It's about $450 cheaper than Vanco + Currie steering so what the hell

Yes I have too much time on my hands. Unfortunately not enough money to actually make quick progress with it either
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Avoid the urge to gear past 4.10s on a D30. The pinions are just too small. Every guy I wheeled with that had 4.56 or 4.88s in their D30 broke ring&pinions before axles and u-joints. One guy installed 4.88s 3 or 4 times before he finally broke down and installed a couple of 60s. These had stock gearing in the t-cases too, no 4:1 kits, no granny gear 4 speeds either, just stock 4.0s
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 18435
Send a message via Yahoo to sureshot40sw
4.10's

cj d30 inner c's

d44 outers

high steer

alloy shafts
sureshot40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
/forum/axles-tires-wheels-sale/743659-built-dana-hp-30-a.html
Bom-Tec Racing #4476
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 85058
careful with the d30...you know what they say about polishing a turd.....
ffgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
Avoid the urge to gear past 4.10s on a D30. The pinions are just too small. Every guy I wheeled with that had 4.56 or 4.88s in their D30 broke ring&pinions before axles and u-joints. One guy installed 4.88s 3 or 4 times before he finally broke down and installed a couple of 60s. These had stock gearing in the t-cases too, no 4:1 kits, no granny gear 4 speeds either, just stock 4.0s
Unless they're running chromos w/ CTMs and going apeshit on 37s+, then whoever geared those axles doesn't know their ass from their elbows. Either backlash is way out(unlikely as that is probably the easiest thing to set) or the pinion depth is giving a pattern too far toward the heel/toe. It's also possible there isn't enough carrier pre-load causing warpage to occur under heavy load.

Also the D30 isn't exactly known for a strong housing, it's also not unlikely that it flexes enough to screw up the gear mesh and cause stuff to blow up.

There is more than a clusterfuck of people wheeling them on 4.56s/4.88s without problem ring/pinion wise. Unless you're jumping the shit out of the Jeep and plan on 35s+ the D30 isn't a terrible axle.

Last edited by flatlander757; 12-23-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Unless they're running chromos w/ CTMs and going apeshit on 37s+, then whoever geared those axles doesn't know their ass from their elbows. Either backlash is way out(unlikely as that is probably the easiest thing to set) or the pinion depth is giving a pattern too far toward the heel/toe. It's also possible there isn't enough carrier pre-load causing warpage to occur under heavy load.

Also the D30 isn't exactly known for a strong housing, it's also not unlikely that it flexes enough to screw up the gear mesh and cause stuff to blow up.

There is more than a clusterfuck of people wheeling them on 4.56s/4.88s without problem ring/pinion wise. Unless you're jumping the shit out of the Jeep and plan on 35s+ the D30 isn't a terrible axle.
Id say the same thing if it were one guy, but I know several. And they all broke doing little petty shit. There weren't jumping them, they weren't bouncing, they didn't have chromos and CTMs, and its not the first axles they have regeared. And by your definition even if they were abusing them shouldn't the axle, u-joint or driveshaft have gone first instead of the pinion??

Its not rocket science, you get the tools, you follow instructions and they work. I'm sure alot of guys make them work but once they get locked and get into even moderate wheeling they are the weak link.

I never said it was a bad axle or that it couldn't hold up to 35s. I know, I did it. I said don't go past 4.10s. Because chances are the R&P can go just as easily as a u-joint. Sorry you disagree, but ive seen it happen on multiple occasions doing stupid shit that most of us were crawling up. I bet most guys in this forum haven't seen a 4.56 D30 pinion let alone a 4.88.

I will say it one last time, I wouldn't gear past 4.10 in a dana 30. After that the week link becomes the R&P because the pinion is the size of a fawking pencil eraser.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
were these high or low pinion axles?
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 40587
hmmm good call that might be it. They were all low pinion axles.

One was a CJ with 4.56s
Two were TJ's with 4.88s

All were locked and had stock T-cases and 4:1 trannys

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 12-24-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:

One was a CJ with 4.56s
Two were TJ's with 4.88s

theres the problem. It could be 3.07 gears in a LP set up. They would still fail.
In an LP the gear is driving on the angled face of the tooth. Push an angle with an angle and they walk apart. The 30 housing can't handle the force of the gears pushing apart. This allows slop and gear failure.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Quote:
Quote:

One was a CJ with 4.56s
Two were TJ's with 4.88s

Uh, so which is it? I'm pretty sure the 4:1 would indeed put the nail in the coffin for a LP gearset as it's giving about 30%+ more torque to the pinion. More stress on the HP gearset but those are supposedly much stronger to begin with so it may or may not be negated by being high pinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Monday View Post
theres the problem. It could be 3.07 gears in a LP set up. They would still fail.
In an LP the gear is driving on the angled face of the tooth. Push an angle with an angle and they walk apart. The 30 housing can't handle the force of the gears pushing apart. This allows slop and gear failure.
I doubt it. With lower(numerically) gears, more stress is transferred further back into the driveline, meaning the driveshaft/t-case in particular. When you regear to a higher(numerically) set of gears, it moves the stress to the u-joints/axleshafts/and the ring and pinion. Usually it should be the u-joint to go out first. I have NEVER heard of a 3.07 gearset breaking in a sane application(under 35" tires). Find 3. The worst I've heard of is a chipped tooth or two. Could be from stress, but the vehicle wasn't even on 33" tires, I'd guess more likely a manufacturing flaw or something along those lines.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 50476
im panning either 410s or 456s when i do gear it.. ill probably stay with the stock 355s for now to match my 8.8, and since im only on 31s.. when i need new tires, probably end of summer/fall, ill gear it... so soon ill be 355s, aussied with my 31 trxus.. i want to compile parts so when it is up on the 34-35s im all set
Old 12-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
I doubt it. With lower(numerically) gears, more stress is transferred further back into the driveline, meaning the driveshaft/t-case in particular. When you regear to a higher(numerically) set of gears, it moves the stress to the u-joints/axleshafts/and the ring and pinion. Usually it should be the u-joint to go out first. I have NEVER heard of a 3.07 gearset breaking in a sane application(under 35" tires). Find 3. The worst I've heard of is a chipped tooth or two. Could be from stress, but the vehicle wasn't even on 33" tires, I'd guess more likely a manufacturing flaw or something along those lines.
that's a good theory
experience has proven otherwise
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:
Uh, so which is it? I'm pretty sure the 4:1 would indeed put the nail in the coffin for a LP gearset as it's giving about 30%+ more torque to the pinion. More stress on the HP gearset but those are supposedly much stronger to begin with so it may or may not be negated by being high pinion.

Dude you have the fucking reading comprehension of a 2nd grader. I clearly stated that the T-cases were stock (as in no 4:1 kits) and that the transmissions were not granny geared 4 speeds (6.5:1 1st gear), but just stock trannys with 4:1 gears, and 4.0 engines.
You FAIL at this thread.

History and experience dictate othewise as said above. Thats 2/2 for you in this, anything else bright you would like to share with us? I would recommend shutting your mouth and learning a thing or two before you start spouting off with your newbie fawker BS.

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 12-24-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 100284
I'm running the D30HP out of a '98 XJ on my '06 TJ. I basically used the inner housing from the HP, installed new ball joints, and reused my '06 outters, unit bearings, axles (with 760x spicers) and brakes from the '06. I am also running an 8.8 from a 2000 Mountaineer with the LS and new factory disks. I just bought 35x12.50 LTBs and will be running them on 15" steel beadlocks. I have 4.10 gearing rightnow but that can change if need be.

I welded in my own truss and skids on the D30HP

I'll look for finished pic. I did find an Alloy USA 1/4" thick steel cover for the D30.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Quote:

Dude you have the fucking reading comprehension of a 2nd grader. I clearly stated that the T-cases were stock (as in no 4:1 kits) and that the transmissions were not granny geared 4 speeds (6.5:1 1st gear), but just stock trannys with 4:1 gears, and 4.0 engines. You FAIL at this thread.

History and experience dictate othewise as said above. Thats 2/2 for you in this, anything else bright you would like to share with us? I would recommend shutting your mouth and learning a thing or two before you start spouting off with your newbie fawker BS.
You're right, I read it wrong. Stock tranny and stock trans would have sufficed. The "4:1 tranny" threw me off.

I'll give you credit that you have more experience than me, but I have yet to see any broken 3.07 gearsets. Nor have you shown me any so get off my ass guy.