YJ or TJ 231 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 108074
YJ or TJ 231

I want to do an SYE in preperation for a tummy tuck.

I found a 231 from an '88 YJ with an SYE for cheap ($100) and want to put it in my '97 TJ. Both are 21 splines so thats not a problem. (2.5l)

I've read there are differences in the speed sensor - can I just swap the mechanical speed sensor from the YJ one and put in the electrical sensor from my TJ?

Also there is a concern about the non-neutral position in the earier model?
"Finally, '94-and-earlier NP231s don't have a true Neutral position for trouble-free towing. When in Neutral ('93 and earlier), the input gear of the 231 separates from the front and rear output shafts, but the shafts are still connected. A special sector (available from JB Conversions) solves this problem. With a true-Neutral kit ('94 and later), the rear driveshaft spins independently of the rest of the drivetrain." A solution for YJ guys is to just disconnect the front axle (using their vacuum disconnect system) Would this be an issue to be concerned about with my TJ axles? Can I swap parts from my TJ 231 transfercase to fix the nuetral position?

If the tcase from the '88 YJ is cheap enough (but not of value to directly swap in my TJ) - should I buy it to swap the SYE over to mine? This is a viable option as well since my friend wants a 231 to do a Box4Roks doubler kit.

Is it worth gettin this tcase and 1. swapping it into my TJ. 2. moving the SYE to my 231 and then sell the remains of the YJ 231?

Thanks in advance.
cwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote