XJ spring swap SUA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85098
XJ spring swap SUA

Does anyone have any pictures of an xj rear spring swap kept SUA? I've been searching but am having trouble finding any pics of it. I'm swapping waggy springs to the front and xj's to the rear, keeping it SUA on both ends. Was hoping to see how level its going to be.
:edit: whoops, forgot to mention this was on a yj

Last edited by ruecifur; 03-23-2009 at 07:17 PM.
ruecifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruecifur View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of an xj rear spring swap kept SUA? I've been searching but am having trouble finding any pics of it. I'm swapping waggy springs to the front and xj's to the rear, keeping it SUA on both ends. Was hoping to see how level its going to be.
:edit: whoops, forgot to mention this was on a yj
I would swap waggy springs front and rear. XJ springs are prone to wheelhop when run short side out.

Better yet just buy 4 new YJ springs from BDS. They have double military warps and a no questions asked lifetime warrenty. Then just run spring perches with 1"-2" of offset if you want a longer wheelbase.

The springs are about $100.00 each. They ship them for free to the nearest BDS dealer. I'm buying a pair. The dealer wants 35.00 more then BDS does so I'm just buying them online and picking them up at the dealers store.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 85098
i'll be running a traction bar to counteract the axle wrap. I'm looking to pick up about 2 inches of lift with the waggy springs, and was hoping i could set the xj's up to do the same depending on where i mounted the hangers. Also most guys are running the xj's SOA, where as i'm going to be SUA, which should help with the axle wrap as well.

That sounds like a good deal for the bds springs, but considering i have both xj and waggy springs sitting in my garage already, i'm gonna go this route.

So... has anyone done xj's SUA and how much lift do they provide over yj springs?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 96120
XJ's are spring over from the factory... Never seen or heard of someone taking one to under, wouldn't that be lowering it???

[url]www.branikmotorsports.com[/url]

96 XJ, 6" long arm, 35" Krawlers, Exocage, 4.88 gears, 8.8 rear... Still work in progress
Twistedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85098
if i was doing that to an xj... then yes. But Yj's are sua from the factory too, with completely flat springs. the xj spring i have def have less arch that waggy springs, but are way longer too. figuring that where i mount the rear shackle hanger is going to dictate my lift.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 96900
do it dude, I pretty much just did the same thing with my 91 YJ. It had a 2.5 inch Rubicon Express spring under kit with a home made 1 inch lift shackle. I got a set of XJ springs at a local junk yard and bastardized my rubicon express pack with it to get it riding level. Stretching it wasn't that hard but getting it level was a PITA, I probably had the leaves in and out 10 times before it came out level.
I only have the main leaf and second leaf off the cherokee pack left, I used the military wrapped leaf and the bottom 3 off the RE pack. For the shackle mount at the frame I just found a leaf sitting in my yard, cut the eyes off and welded it to the frame. I made the shackles way long( about 10 inches) and drilled 4 holes 1.5 inches apart to adjust the ride height. I ended up with the shackles at 6 inches hole to hole and it sits within a half inch in height difference front to rear. My shackle angle is pretty steep but the cherokee leaves droop a ton.
I have been running it like this for about 6 months on and off road. You will need a traction bar, even when running spring under but if built right it wont limit flex at all. Mine is on the driver side which I heard doesn't work but I guess it magically works for me.
I don't have any pics right now but if you have facebook there are some on Alex Harps at kennesaw georgia. Good luck
jharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 85098
jharps, thanks for the info... i added you as a friend on facebook and i'll take a look at those pics as soon as i have access to them. I'm gonna try and source some dodge dakota or chevy s10 leaves and bastardize those with the xj's. I got some way back hangers from ruff stuff, so the hangers aren't a prob, just trying to figure out the springs so they match the waggys. The traction bar is a must from what i hear, so i'll be sure to fab one up, doing the pass side shouldn't be a prob anyway, cause my exhaust will be running down the drivers side (i'm running a d300 and scout axles, so my front d-shaft will be on the pass side)