Suggestions For Locker in 1986 CJ7 Dana 44 Rear & Dana 30 Front - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 138170
Question Suggestions For Locker in 1986 CJ7 Dana 44 Rear & Dana 30 Front

Good day all,

I am 15-1/2 years old and my dad traded his bike for me and got me a 1986 Jeep CJ7, with a small block 350 TBI, TH350 Trans, Dana 44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. We just got new Big Daddy Tie Rods and Drag Link, new ball joints, and tie ends. I live in Orange County, California and expect to do desert & some rock crawling, and mud when I find it.

I was wondering:
1. What brand of Lockers I should buy and why?
2. Where to buy at lowest cost? (being only 15-1/2 I dont make the big $$)
3. Where to have it installed?

Thanks all,
Alex
yl.beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
How much money do you have to spend to start? Whats your initial budget?
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3553
Send a message via AIM to FreakAccident
First off you may need to be careful with the go pedal. Stock Dana 30s and v8s don't like each other. Ultimately you might wanna just stay open front and rear and look for some good deals on the forums for something better to spend your money on in the meantime. Unfortunately it sounds like you may not have the resources to swap in something better on your own.

Warning: My cheap ass opinion is based on my cheap ass. Some people hate auto lockers on the street. Some people hate spools/welded on the street. Some people hate everything. This is what I like.

Aussie locker front and Lincoln Locker rear would be my first choice without upgrading to bigger axles. Very cheap.
$240 for the front locker and whatever a welding buddy would charge to weld the rear. Install the Aussie lockers yourself. If you can pick your nose you can do this.

Aussie lockers front and rear would probably be a lot safer with that engine though.
$240 each = $480

If you have the money then ARBs front and rear would be best.

Install the Aussie lockers yourself. If you can pick your nose you can do this.

ARBs not so much like picking your nose.

Last edited by FreakAccident; 06-29-2009 at 08:19 PM.
FreakAccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 108872
Send a message via AIM to MonsterSeven Send a message via Yahoo to MonsterSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakAccident View Post
Aussie lockers. Very cheap. $240 for each. Install the Aussie lockers yourself. If you can pick your nose you can do this.
exactly.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 59753
I changed the 7-8 gear shift rod in my Dads semi's 13 speed roadranger transmission when I was 13. So no doubt you can install lockers. At 15 Always take it easy on the gas pedel, That pedel can cost you big time money in repairs.

Last edited by Alfred W.; 06-30-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Alfred W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
If you're going for any tire bigger than a 33 with that drivetrain, I 100% have to x2 putting some thought into leaving them open while saving for better axles.

But, to answer your questions-
1. Aussie, or comparable lunchbox(stay inexpensive)
2. WayneHartwig
3. DIY
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126796
As it has already been said. Everyone here has thier opinion. But, one that we all agree on is that the D30 in front is probably your biggest weak point with what you have.

You should start searching now for something to replace it with. Don't have to do it now but keep it in mind when you go on runs and talk to people. Ussually if you get a bunch fo Jeep guys together someone will always talk about thier upgrade. Pay attention. When they upgrade they ussually take things off as well. Chances are they are also upgrading to something really beefy and removing something you might be able to use.

Clubs and websites are your best bet.

I personally like the Ford 8.8 for the rear of my 86 CJ7. And I run a Vortec 5.7
For the front you need at least a D44.
I did runa D30 for a while as well. I suggest carrying extra ujoint for the axles with you at all times. Go to Harbour Freight and pickup the ujoin service tool kit. 50 bucks I think and it is nothing but a big C-clamp to help change your axle ujoints. Keep this with the jeep at all times as well. And if you are trying to climb something and hear a loud pop, stop and look, don't just keep the foot on the skinny pedal. Ujoints are not that bad, but unless you are going to carry extra axles you could be broke for a while.

Since you already have a D44 then I would put a lunchbox locker that your budget can afford. You can also do that for the front but keep in mind. Putting money into a D30 is not always the best course of action. If you get addicted to crawling and then get into this sport seriously, everything you put into it you will replace.

But, the lunchboxes are cheap. But my definition of cheap and yours could be very different.

ARB's are nice. But the pricetag is also high as well as the install of the gears of you can't do it yourself. That also doesn't take into consideration of the pump.

The OX locker price doesn't include the cable either.

Detroit is a good choice as I like maintenance free. No air or cables required. Just drive. But they are not the most desirable on the road, especially with a stick. Easier to deal with when an Auto is in use.

Nothing is cheap, but you just need to plan and save and try not to waste money for a quick fix.

I bought my daughters 67 Jeepster and we are replacing all the suspension with that from a stock 06 Rubicon. Becuase I was given all the parts for free from others upgrading. And since this Jeepster will never see anything over 35's (33's are planned) and only mild wheelin. It is a good choice for her.

If you also find a good supportive club, ussually you will find local experience and even help with what you want to do.

Last edited by jsmith7364; 06-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55871
X2 on what FreakAccident said. I have a welded rear and Aussie in the front. Mine is primarily a trail rig also.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 32187
Location: Selma, in the middle of the vineyards, Central California
IMHO

Skip the lockers and spend your money on dressing it up:
Wheels
Tires
Seats
New paint
Chrome
Sound system!!!!!!

At your age looking good at High School is much more important than wheeling in the hills; breaking your equipment and spending your time fixing it.
Doll up your rig and start dating the rich girls.

Just my opinion

Good Luck

Edit: You got a "cool" dad to sell his bike for your ride!

Last edited by GoldToyBox; 07-01-2009 at 06:48 PM.
GoldToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 135054
I would say instead of trying to do both lockers wait and do one at a time. Do the rear upgrade the axle shafts and a locker then save and to the same in the front. I agree that V8s and d30s don't go so well together but if you are smart you will be ok.

There should be a ton of good places in SoCal to get the work done, 4 Wheel Parts is pretty inexpensive and there should be one near you.

If you are looking to go cheap you can do Auburn, lock right and Aussie are cheap just remember you get what you pay for with lockers.
[B]93 Jeep YJ (Project)
94 Jeep XJ (DD weekend wheeler)[/B]
jrw7072009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40587
His axles are strong enough and will hold up fine to a TBI 350 and a slush box on 35" tires with lockers. Hell, a 4.0 with a header and an airfilter puts out more HP then a TBI 350 (Thats 210 hp of axle breaking meaness right there )

Get 2 Aussie Lockers. Maybe twin stick your t-case. Its a Jeep, other then maybe a set of seats, and a radio, anything cosmetically you do to it other then touch ups with a rattle can is a waste of money. Best place to buy them is right here in our vendors section. You won't find them cheaper anywheres and alot of guys just because you are a pirate4x4 member give you special pricing. This may or may not be the case with aussies.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 06-30-2009 at 08:14 PM.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote