school me on a jeep - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 110910
school me on a jeep

Just bought a 76 cj-5 never owned one before. It has the 304 but that is about as much as know about it looking to swap in a sbc. The 304 is tired and smoking bad and lacking in the power department and I have a good running 350.

So whats in it now as far as tranny/tcase ?

if it was your build what would you do ?

By the way this won't be a wheeler just want a fun summer driver/gravel road warrior.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85324
Send a message via AIM to xrockfinderx
Quote:
Originally Posted by phew View Post
Just bought a 76 cj-5 never owned one before. It has the 304 but that is about as much as know about it looking to swap in a sbc. The 304 is tired and smoking bad and lacking in the power department and I have a good running 350.

So whats in it now as far as tranny/tcase ?

if it was your build what would you do ?

By the way this won't be a wheeler just want a fun summer driver/gravel road warrior.
th400 np203
xrockfinderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 110910
really a 203 ? why ?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40587
If its going to be a dual purpose light use rig, just put similar parts in it.

Find a SM465/NP205 combo and throw it in, if you want a little deeper gearing and twin sticks spend a few hundred on the Novak conversion input for a Dana 300 and run that instead (Thats what I would do since the 300 is smaller and arguably in the same strength category and has alot more aftermarket support and they are common). You won't kill a SM465/NP205 or Dana 300, even behind a hopped up 350.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 36490
Rebuild the 304 and keep it all Jeep. If your going to use it as a driver you don't have to remember what you need when you go to the parts store.

Last edited by broncojohn; 07-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.
broncojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojohn View Post
Rebuild the 304 and keep it all Jeep. If your going to use it as a driver you don't have to remember what you need when you go to the parts store.
I can see the wisdom in this because I always had to stop and think about what I swapped into mine at the parts store, I really should have made a list as it gets confusing when you have axles from one manufacturer with parts from another one it, and drivetrains with jeep engines, ford trannies and jeep T-cases etc etc. But I wouldn't keep that 304 if somebody paid me, hell Id rather have a 258 then a 304 same HP more torque and lives ALOT longer.

But 350 parts are a dime a dozen, so are GM trannies and t-cases and Jeep Dana 300s. He would probably spend more money and time trying to rebuild it then just buying the new mounts and throwing a junkyard drive train in. A 360 or a 401 would be pretty badass too however, I've seen some potent 360s and they bolt right up.

To each his own, let us know how it goes OP
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Beginnings

Member # 99513
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojohn View Post

yeap, those trips are fun. Especially when your trying to explain the "Professional" what you need. I swear I've met some real toolboxes in the recent past.

Its a jeep and they suck money out of your pocket while your sleeping at night. Hide the atm card from the jeep. If you don't, the next day, your bank account is drained. Its like having a smoking hottie Maxim girl thats great in the sack and great at draining every penny you have.

good luck

NEW BEGINNINGS:
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/971511-jealle-o-cigano.html
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
PIRATE CONFORMEE

Member # 77389
Just Everyone Elses Parts !!!........
MT TUBEKRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post

yeap, those trips are fun. Especially when your trying to explain the "Professional" what you need. I swear I've met some real toolboxes in the recent past.

Its a jeep and they suck money out of your pocket while your sleeping at night. Hide the atm card from the jeep. If you don't, the next day, your bank account is drained. Its like having a smoking hottie Maxim girl thats great in the sack and great at draining every penny you have.

good luck
*sigh* And I have one more to build once our poor economy bounces back.....